HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Angry Orchard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #51
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Appreciate the update. Seeing the version that didn't work could prove helpful if you know why it didn't work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #52
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
I found that it took about 6 weeks - 2 months in the bottle for KISS v1.0 to be drinkable. At that point it was pretty good.

The recipe for KISS v2.0 will not be published. I feel that the changes I made to it from v1.0 were steps in the wrong direction. Drinkable, but not great.

Working on KISS v3.0 when I can.
Keep me apprised on KISS 3.0 please. I'm a fan or Angry Orchard and your recipes.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #53
dr_al

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

well i have my version going its in the not the end of the world cider post.

5 gallons of musselmans cider, notty 1.050 to 1.010 cold crashing malic acid to taste and some aj concentrate to bump it back up to 1.020 or a bit more.

it really needs the cold crashing to drop the yeast out. i'll prolly add in some sorbate since it will be kegged and carbed.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #54
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_al View Post
well i have my version going its in the not the end of the world cider post.

5 gallons of musselmans cider, notty 1.050 to 1.010 cold crashing malic acid to taste and some aj concentrate to bump it back up to 1.020 or a bit more.

it really needs the cold crashing to drop the yeast out. i'll prolly add in some sorbate since it will be kegged and carbed.
So you're cold crashing it to stop it before it completely ferments out to retain natural, residual sweetness? I bottle so I guess I would need to skip the cold crashing and bottle it with malic acid slightly above your suggested fg and bottle pasteurize. I've always let my ciders ferment completely and then backsweetened.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #55
dr_al

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yup i'm attempting to halt if before its ferments all the way out, i should have done it last night, or a bit earlier even, it seems after it dropped below 1.01 it gets the bitterness i'm trying to avoid. I will also be using AJ concentrate to back sweeten it some more.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #56
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If the finished product is too tart and lacks in sweetness perhaps try adding a MLF culture and let it do its work for a month or so. Then give it try. The MLF will sweeten it but also makes a more rounded mouth feel. Good luck all you drunk scientists!

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #57
FireRescueFL
BYO or GTFO!

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm interested in V1.0's recipe. Close to Crisp is what I'm after. If I want exact, I'll buy a 6er. I'd rather make something close myself though.

---Chris

Primary #1: Cider
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Primary #4: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Secondary #2: Empty
Keg #1: Red IPA
Keg #2: Miller Lite (yuck)
Keg #3: Empty
Keg #4: Empty

Buy a man a brew and he'll waste an hour,
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #58
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygouv30
Thanks for the reply. Of course I have more questions.

What are my options to end all fermentation so I can just add sugar to sweeten?

If I decide to add unfermentables instead f the previous option, what can/should I use? Splenda?

Thanks,
Corey
You can also back sweeten with apple/cider juice. Some people save a little cider in a bottle in the fridge when they make a batch. Than add it in before bottling and after fermentation. If you do this I strongly recommend that you look at the sugar content on the bottle and not adding any sugar for carbonation and just let the natural sugar in the juice carbonate. Make sure to kill the yeast before you add the juice or otherwise your just adding more sugar for fermentation

Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #59
FatsSchindee
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowneyy

You can also back sweeten with apple/cider juice. Some people save a little cider in a bottle in the fridge when they make a batch. Than add it in before bottling and after fermentation. If you do this I strongly recommend that you look at the sugar content on the bottle and not adding any sugar for carbonation and just let the natural sugar in the juice carbonate. Make sure to kill the yeast before you add the juice or otherwise your just adding more sugar for fermentation
If you kill the yeast before adding juice or sugar, though, you won't get any added carbonation - it's the yeast eating this extra sugar that produces the carbonation. You'd have to force carbonate after killing the yeast and adding the extra juice. As far as I understand (never done this myself; currently reading these forums to figure out how to sweeten and carb up, for my first cider batch), you have to back sweeten with an unfermentable sweetener like xylitol or lactose to be able to bottle carb with priming sugar or more juice, otherwise the yeast eat up the extra fermentable sugars you add as well. Or, after back sweetening and after some carbonating, but before the yeast eat ALL the added sugar, you have to pasteurize or cold-crash to keep them from eating the rest of it (the amount you still want as the sweetener). Again, this is just what I've been reading, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #60
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry I didn't mean kill I meant make them doormat by using Potassium Sorbate.

Quick Reply