Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Cider Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/)
-   -   Ancient Hard Cider: Some Questions (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/ancient-hard-cider-some-questions-291754/)

brill 01-04-2012 06:46 PM

Ancient Hard Cider: Some Questions
 
I found a trove of my Father's bottled hard cider made about twenty years ago in the corner of a cellar. The bottles were frozen to the dirt floor as the building is not heated, and hasn't been for 10 years. After poking one of the bottles with a stick to make sure it wouldn't explode, I brought it inside. The liquid is very clear, a soft amber color. There is some yeast settled on the bottom in a solid cake that remains intact when I swish the bottle.

Do you think this cider is of any quality?

Do I need to pasteurize it?

I'm a little hesitant to open the bottle.

Thanks,

Brill

Fizzycist 01-04-2012 07:04 PM

I get the feeling it will either be amazing or horrific. Don't bother pasteurizing, anything in there this long that could kill you will be toxins like botulism, not infections like salmonella. Opening it shouldn't be dangerous, just give it a light chill, point it away from your face and prepare to be amazed! Or horrified. Ya know. Be sure to post how it turns out! :mug:

Devo9 01-04-2012 07:04 PM

I can't see why you would need to pasturize it. I think you're going to have to open this bottle up if you want to find out if it is still good. If it isn't, then it is probably just apple cider vinegar (which is supposed to be very good for you).

Good luck and keep us posted!

SenorPepe 01-04-2012 07:05 PM

Please, please keep us posted. I'm jealous.

Devo9 01-04-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzycist (Post 3627429)
I get the feeling it will either be amazing or horrific. Don't bother pasteurizing, anything in there this long that could kill you will be toxins like botulism, not infections like salmonella.

I don't think it will be horrible or have botulism. This is alcohol we are talking about... or vinegar. Either way there shouldn't be anything harmful that would have survived.

Devo9 01-04-2012 07:14 PM

d@mn... you live in Vermont... If I was in Montreal I would have invited myself over for this! lol :ban:

Fizzycist 01-04-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo9 (Post 3627469)
I don't think it will be horrible or have botulism. This is alcohol we are talking about... or vinegar. Either way there shouldn't be anything harmful that would have survived.

Well, I agree, I was just saying that pasteurizing would be pointless. And In some of the "old beer" posts they have said that the oxidizing is genuinely nasty tasting.

Devo9 01-04-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzycist

Well, I agree, I was just saying that pasteurizing would be pointless. And In some of the "old beer" posts they have said that the oxidizing is genuinely nasty tasting.

Fizzy - I see what you are saying, but I hope it isn't so! I hope it tastes great!

brill 01-04-2012 08:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I opened it up and had a small taste. I, having not had any experience with hard cider, enjoyed the smell and thought it tasted all right. When my dad tried it, a look of surprise came across his face and he exclaimed that it was quite good for hard cider! There are eight more bottles down there as well as a wine bottle that probably contains the same thing.

As there were a few floaties, I tried straining a little bit of the cider through a piece of linen. This seemed to take a bit of the tang out of the cider so I didn't filter the rest. Does one usually filter out the yeast or anything?

I'm excited to delve more deeply into my new found treasure!

- Brill

Devo9 01-04-2012 09:44 PM

Awesome! What a find!


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.