Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Airlock troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
pnathebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlock troubles

When I was putting on the airlock making some cider the cork didn't fit into the bottle completely so I just taped it down. Will this still work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnathebrewer View Post
When I was putting on the airlock making some cider the cork didn't fit into the bottle completely so I just taped it down. Will this still work?
Maybe. You need an airtight seal with the bung and carboy neck. You may try placing bung inside a piece of plastic wrap that you pull tight as you seat it, or food grade petroleum or glycerin will usually do the trick. If it is one of the rubber/silicone bungs placing it in heated water for a few minutes does wonders.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnathebrewer View Post
I had a lot of troubles in the beginning using rubber stoppers. No matter how much I dried them off, the star-san sanitizer film always made them pop out...so I taped them down with electrical tape.

I've since switched to Universal Stoppers and they stay put every time. They come in a variety of sizes from 15 gallon demijohns all the way down to 1 gallon jugs.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mediu...e-drilled.html

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sanitize some foil and fit it loosely over the neck but tight enough so it doesn't blow off. Airlocks are overrated. I would not sweat the contamination issue this time of year.

Quick Reply