Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Airlock on Apfelwein fermenterhas stopped releasing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
RFord150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlock on Apfelwein fermenterhas stopped releasing

I'm fermenting a batch of Apfelwein and the airlock has quit releasing after a week. The instructions call to allow fermenting for 1 to 3 months. I had planned on 2 months. Should I be concerned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No.....An airlock is a only a valve to release built up co2, to keep from having what you are fermenting end up on your ceiling...that's it..it's not a gauge, a machine, it's nothing but a vent....So if it's not bubbling then there's no excess co2 to need to be released.

Some people don't even use airlocks....So no need to worry.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm wondering if the yeast read your instructions

I'm guessing when you say Apfelwein that you mean the fermented apple juice recipe? If the yeast is done fermenting, it's done fermenting. What's the gravity at right now? You can let it sit for about a month on it's lees then rack it and leave it for a few months before drinking it.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
RFord150
Recipes 

It is the fermented apple juice. The gravity is at 1.005. Is there a tried a true way to tell if it is done fermenting or is this product a time preference?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFord150 View Post
It is the fermented apple juice. The gravity is at 1.005. Is there a tried a true way to tell if it is done fermenting or is this product a time preference?
The tried and true method of determining if ANYTHING is done fermenting is two hydrometer readings over 3 consecutive days. If it stays the same, then it is usually finished.

If you took an hydrometer reading that's another good reason your airlock stopped bubbling, you released any excess co2.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
RFord150
Recipes 

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be back if anything changes.

Quick Reply