Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Aging strawberry cider finally coming good :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
sa101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Aging strawberry cider finally coming good :)

I bottled a 23L batch of strawberry/apple cider 3 months ago. OG was 1.054, FG after adding strawberry syrup and before bottling was 1.02. I wasn't looking for anything strong, just something refreshing and sweet for the upcoming summer.
Using my trusty 600ml plastic bottle as a carbonation indicator, I realised that I should've added some sugar pre-bottling, because after a month there were barely any bubbles. So I just played the waiting game.........
I tasted one after a month of bottle conditioning........had a FANTASTIC smell, but a little too much bite, just a tad too bitter.
After 2 months in the bottles, I started opening a bottle every week. Each time I open one, it seems to taste better and better, but still not perfect.
Opened one just now after exactly 3 months of bottle conditioning, and carbonation levels are near perfect, smell is unreal, but that zingy bite is still lingering.

Anyone have experience with really long bottle conditioning? I'm accustomed to drinking a sweeter cider after a maximum of one month of conditioning.

Best to stove top pasteurise and let it sit for a while longer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 944 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Age does wonderful things, I've aged cider as long as a year & you might find another month or two, or even six will be just what your cider needs.
Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply