The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Aging in Growler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
rothschild
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Aging in Growler?

Made a cider. Nothing scientific. Bought a gallon of unfiltered, spiced cider from Trader Joe's. Added approx 1 1/2 lb of honey. Fermented in the original container. Used Lalvin D47 yeast. Cold crashing now. Any risks in aging in two growlers with twist tops for a year?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

As long as you're not carbing it in there you'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When it's apples and honey it's a cyser, not a cider /nerd :-P

Cold crashing with residual sugars can be a gamble. As soon as it warms up again, any yeast left over will start chugging away again.

If you have twist-top growlers that you're gonna put airlocks on.. sure. If you're gonna leave the twist tops on loosely enough for gas to escape, feasible. If you're gonna crank down the caps you may end up with carbed cider - or bombs.

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both good points. I think it comes down to... are you cold crashing because the cider/cyser has completely fermented to dry and you're getting the yeast to drop out for clarity? Or are you cold crashing in the attempt to halt the yeast and keep some sweetness?

If there's no residual sugars, you're fine. If there are sugars, you will need to make sure you use sulfites/whatever-can't-think-of-the-name to keep it from fermenting further, especially if you want to keep it in the growler.

I have a mead and a wine in a growler. One has been sitting in the closet since May.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Sorbate... is what he is trying to think of above Sorbate in combination with sulfites will halt your fermentation without the need to cold crash.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
Sorbate... is what he is trying to think of above Sorbate in combination with sulfites will halt your fermentation without the need to cold crash.
I do not sorbate, nor do I sulfite - and so this will be hearsay.... but.

I have been told this statement is not entirely true - a fermentation that's rolling downhill (e.g. a well established population eating abundant sugars) won't stop with sorbate/sulfite.

A yeast population that has eaten all of the sugars can be stunned by them, I have been told: so you could let it go bone dry, rack onto sorbate/sulfite and backsweeten, then pop an airlock on to be doubly sure no more sugar is being eaten, THEN bottle.

Also if you look on the juice/yeast experiments sticky, some ferments can be stopped with cold crashing and racking.

I know I'm being picky, but some people really break their backs to get to the LHBS and may not need to/would be wasting their money if misinformed. and that's no fun.

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
rothschild
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I was cold crashing to get the remaining yeast to drop, not to stop fermentation. This is the first time I've made something from unfiltered juice and didn't trust that I'd know when the yeast had all dropped. But since I didn't test OG and just guessed that the fermentation was pretty much done I'll probably add airlocks for the first couple of months just to be on the safe side.

My primary concern was oxidation. I bought the growlers from a local brew pub and had to return one that had been sitting in their display because it had turned. But it sounds like with the cider, as long as I practice proper sanitation, it should be fine, yeah?

Thanks again!

P.S. @Two0Fish, I knew to call it ciser but thought, if I did so, some forum rule would make my question more appropriate in the mead forum, and then I thought I'd miss out on teh great wisdomz of the cider heads here. I was probably overanalyzing.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorbate, that's the stuff I couldn't remember. I've yet to use it as well, but may at some point. What I would do is cold crash to preserve sweetness, rack to leave yeast behind and sulfite/sorbate to prevent any additional yeast growth and fermentation. Something like that anyways. I haven't wanted to do it yet so I haven't researched.

More than likely, if this was a display growler that was filled, it was probably lightstruck somehow, so that the light was more of the issue than oxygen. Do you recall if it was skunky (something about light and hops) or if it was more like cardboard (usually oxidation)?

And proper sanitation should always be followed regardless of drink, and you should be fine in that regard.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
rothschild
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The beer that had turned was an ale (this one specifically: Titan Ale - Watch City Brewing Co. - Waltham, MA - BeerAdvocate ) that tasted undrinkably sour. I don't know how long it'd been since it was filled. It wasn't on tap when I picked up the growler. It had been sitting in the front of the display where there is a lot of light exposure. The growler was made of dark brown tinted glass. It was filled almost to the top.

I think I may pick up some sorbate just in case. I have campden tabs for the sulfite but was concerned that adding them to a container with no way for gases to escape might lead to sulfur odors in the cider.

Quick Reply