Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > aging apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
chormang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default aging apfelwein

Hi everyone,
I started my first apfelwein about a week ago and I have a question about aging it. It is currently fermenting in a plastic bucket. I gather that it needs to stay in primary for at least a month but the longer the better. My question is, will I get the same results if I bottle it after a month and then age in bottles, or is there a good reason to keep it in the plastic bucket for its aging?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

odds are you apfelwein isnt going to be clear after a month. Mine took almost exactly 2 for it to finish and clear. Your correct, the longer you age the better it comes out but you dont usually want to age it in plastic due to oxidation issues. I would suggest either racking to a better bottle carboy or traditional glass if your going to age it but wait the two months. I recently found apfelwein from 2 years ago in the back of my fridge and it was heavenly....

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
chormang
Recipes 

So you think that oxidation would be an issue if I kept in in the plastic bucket for 1-2 months? I should mention that this is an "ale pail" which came with a brewing kit, so I would think that the plastic its made of would be just as good as the plastic in a better bottle carboy.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chormang View Post
So you think that oxidation would be an issue if I kept in in the plastic bucket for 1-2 months? I should mention that this is an "ale pail" which came with a brewing kit, so I would think that the plastic its made of would be just as good as the plastic in a better bottle carboy.
No it won't be an issue.

2-3 months in the bucket and then bottle. Make sure you refill your airlock with water as it evaporates. Leave it atleast a year other wise it will taste like cheap white wine or hooch. and make some apple cider next time if you want a good apple tasting alcaholic beverage in a tenth of the time.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
chormang
Recipes 

ok, sounds like a plan. thank you.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chormang View Post
your fine with 2 months in an ale pail....i had some i aged longer which i transfered to glass to prevent oxidation. Keep the lid on and dont check it all the time. The co2 produced will push out the oxygen and any oxygen invading through the plastic will be negligable. If you move to wine though you will probably want glass

Quick Reply