Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > ageing/conditioning questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
jabumbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ageing/conditioning questions

so about 2 weeks back i cold crashed both of my ciders.

the first one went from the crash into a keg, a bit of co2 was pumped in, and it was stuck in the garage. this one tastes a little rough on the edges.

the second one was racked into a glass carboy, sealed with a plastic top, covered and stuck in the basement. this one passed the first taste test and have a good bite to it.

so my question is: am i okay to just leave them as is for a month (or 2 or more) or should i do something different? i'll probably stick the kegged batch on the gas tank once a slot gets opened up, but the other i will probably serve as is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I leave mine in the secondary carboy for around 6 months or more to age. One month is fine if you like the way it tastes, but it will improve with age. I only hear of people having issues when they age low alcohol hard ciders in higher temps.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 2727

Six months to a year of aging will work wonders. You could also add some oak if you like. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply