Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > aged cider...bottling for carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
corvus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default aged cider...bottling for carbonation?

I brewed 2 batches of cider a year ago...I brewed one entirely in the primary and the other I transferred to a secondary. Both taste good (if a little strong)...more like apple wine than cider but they're ok. It's been a year, and I'm ready to bottle. I test-bottled a few bottles with a little sugar and after two weeks had zero carbonation. I figure that it's perhaps because the yeast has died off after so long? Can I bottle-carbonate this late in the process? Should I add a little fresh unpasteurized cider (ie w/ natural yeasts) along with my bottle sugar for bottle carbonating (similar to krausening)? Any ideas for getting a little light carbonation in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

You can probably reptich some yeast (make sure it can handle your ABV) and a wee bit of sugar and it will carb just fine. if you are going to use applejuice to do a kraeusen type process check out this like for how much to use. http://www.breworganic.com/tips/tips_Kraesening.htm

Personally I prefer my cider flat but to each his own.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
corvus
Recipes 

Default Abv

You are right...I used champagne yeast to make the cider, and the alcohol is probably too high for natural yeasts to take. I should make a new batch and krausen with some of the "wort" leftover from it. It will be awhile before I can get around to making a new batch, so I will try a couple more test bottles with the natural cider and report back.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Since you're from Montreal, you can get all the REAL apple juice you want. None of this canned shix. Our club buys 3-400 liters a year in bulk from an orchard in St. Hilaire, 69 cents a liter.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
corvus
Recipes 

Default real cider

Actually, I used 100% natural cider for one of the batches, and 50% natural, 50% pasteurized canned for the other, just to experiment. This year, though, I am looking for 100% real for all batches and plan on even trying a wild yeast batch.

You wouldn't happen to be a on the MontreAler list, do you? There was talk on that list about buying cider, but if they opt not to I would definitely like to participate in your buy! PM me and I'll send you my email...

Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus

You wouldn't happen to be a on the MontreAler list, do you? There was talk on that list about buying cider,
Yup, that's me. I'm the guy who organises the group purchase.

Quick Reply