HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > adding fruit into the mix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
termeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default adding fruit into the mix

here's a question i probably should have asked already. whats the difference between adding when things are just getting started and after the first racking.

i gather that adds a considerable amount of sugars for the yeast to go hojo over, but what will give a better taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well the argument is over where do you get the most fruit flavors. There are those fighting for primary and those fighting for secondary. The discussion seems to be that some people think that if the yeasties are allowed to eat up all the sugars in the must, than racked on top of the fruit, then the fruit should impart more flavors.

Personally I don't know, there seems to be little evidence either way, so my solution as to do both (as advised by another memeber, Pyro). I did 4 lbs of blueberry in primary and will be racking on top of 3-5 lbs more depending on how much flavor I want to add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply