Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Adding Dried Apples to Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Adding Dried Apples to Cider

I'm working on a Mott's juice and Belgian Abbey II cider. I've also been doing a lot of lambic and sour beers lately, so I've been researching techniques on adding fruit.

Based on my research I've figured out that Russian River uses dried fruit in their Consecration and Supplication, and was wondering about using dried apples in this cider that I have going now.

I'm sure someone out there has tried this, but searching for "dried apples in cider" yields a ton of results about "dry cider".

Other than having the sugars concentrated and the moisture removed, making it easier to get more fruit thru the top of my carboy, what benefits do you think I'd gain by using dried apples vs using sliced regular apples? I'm sure the variety of apples matters as well, but something like this is what I was thinking - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-App...item27c54fd2a0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
kindrox
Recipes 

You would have to try it and see I guess. My question would be how the yeast could get to the sugars in the dried apple and how to get the created alcohols out? The solution for myself has been to add more concentrate.

I have turned my personalized gift and embroidery businesses into simply the means by which I brew great beer!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Are the apples treated with any preservatives to help them retain their colour? I didn't see it listed but alot of dried fruits do. Trying to use dried fruits that have been treated with preservatives is asking for disappointment.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that adding dried apples would contribute very little flavour & soak up a lot of cider. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that adding dried apples would contribute very little flavour & soak up a lot of cider. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.
I hadn't thought much about the amount of liquid they'd soak up. I've used dried cherries and dried currants in beer before, and they didn't soak up too much, but it does seem like apples would act like giant sponges. Since the flavor is kind of delicate (compared to dried sour cherries at least) I would probably agree that they'd have limited flavor contribution.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply