Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > added Yeast Nutrient Still got rhino Farts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
nico541
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default added Yeast Nutrient Still got rhino Farts

I pitched the yeast on 12/2. By 12/3 It putting off a very potent stench. I used the following ingredients:
5 gram packet Redstar Champange Yeast
5 tsp of yeast nutrient
4 gallons flash pasturiezed cider
1.6 pounds cane sugar
On 12/3 I added 2 more Tsp of yeast Nutrient and agitated it which I hope wasn't the wrong thing to do.
Any thoughts? advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 844 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Sometimes rhino farts just can't be avoided. It'll be over in a couple days.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've had good results using Fermaid K.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
nico541
Recipes 

I think I found my problem. My last batch I used Redstar Champagne and wanted to try it out again. Being kinda special I ended up grabbing Redstar Montrachet yeast instead lol. From what I have been able to find Montrachet is not a big fan of large amounts of sugar. I think this is why it is getting stressed, though you couldn't tell by looking at it. It has been fermenting like crazy since I pitched it. I guess people use Montrachet to make apfelwein but I am going to try and stop it before it gets too dry. Anyone have any recommendations on FG? I started out with an OG of 1.065.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico541 View Post
I think I found my problem. My last batch I used Redstar Champagne and wanted to try it out again. Being kinda special I ended up grabbing Redstar Montrachet yeast instead lol. From what I have been able to find Montrachet is not a big fan of large amounts of sugar. I think this is why it is getting stressed, though you couldn't tell by looking at it. It has been fermenting like crazy since I pitched it. I guess people use Montrachet to make apfelwein but I am going to try and stop it before it gets too dry. Anyone have any recommendations on FG? I started out with an OG of 1.065.
I've used Montrachet and champagne yeast for apfelwein and it will ferment ultra dry so where you want to stop it depends on how sweet you want it. You could always ferment til dry then backsweeten as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
ShadyHoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, kinda new to this myself, but my first batches of low-nutrient fruit from old orchards were gruesome with the rhino farts for a few days, and then it passed, and the finished product had no sulfur smell or taste. It seems to just be a phase some ferments go through.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
nico541
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I'm really hoping the smell goes away by the time the cider is ready. It has been 3 days and while it has gotten a little better the smell is still pretty potent.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Hedo-Rick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got the rhino farts myself. Two days into fermentation and starting to get a very pronounced (but kind of clean) sulfur smell, but nothing like the awful rotten egg smell I was getting from my (failed) first batch.

Decided to toss in another teaspoon of nutrient since I was going to pull out the blow off tube and put in my airlock...not a wise decision with a healthy fermentation already going! I still had the blow off tube and stopper set up in my hand and had to jam it back into the mouth of the carboy because foam came shooting up like a geyser. It blasted through the blow off tube for about 20-30 seconds and then stopped.

Anyway, I don't really think I did any damage, and know understand rhino farts seem to be a common occurrence, so I guess I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
nico541
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo-Rick View Post
Got the rhino farts myself. Two days into fermentation and starting to get a very pronounced (but kind of clean) sulfur smell, but nothing like the awful rotten egg smell I was getting from my (failed) first batch.

Decided to toss in another teaspoon of nutrient since I was going to pull out the blow off tube and put in my airlock...not a wise decision with a healthy fermentation already going! I still had the blow off tube and stopper set up in my hand and had to jam it back into the mouth of the carboy because foam came shooting up like a geyser. It blasted through the blow off tube for about 20-30 seconds and then stopped.

Anyway, I don't really think I did any damage, and know understand rhino farts seem to be a common occurrence, so I guess I'll give it some time and see what happens.
Guess I got lucky I added more nutrients early on second day and agitated it as well but thankfully didn't make a geiser.

Quick Reply