Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Add more cider to bring down SG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
PiecefulToker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Add more cider to bring down SG?

Hi all,

Started a batch of cider/graff/braggot last night with:

3lb amber DME
~4.5lb honey
4gal apple juice/cider
1gal purified water
1 5g packet Nottingham ale yeast rehydrated

OG = 1.100

Brought 1gal water to a boil, added the DME and turned off the heat. Covered and let sit for ~30 minutes, then put in ice bath. Added honey while still somewhat warm to help dissolve. Poured apple juice into fermenter, then added DME/honey mixture. Rehydrated yeast and pitched.

Pitched the yeast at about 9PM last night, and it is bubbling slowly this morning. My question is, should I add more apple juice to bump up my volume and bring the gravity down a little bit? I was shooting for ~1.085, but obviously I undercalculated it.

I am gonna add some pectic enzyme and a dose of Fermaid-K, and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and add a little more juice. I know if I am gonna add more sugars, I need to do it ASAP.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Can you? Yes, and since you wanted a lower SG, I'd say do it. No reason you couldn't just use some water.

Note: there will be many people who say NO based on the desire to have as high an ABV as possible.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

Added another half gallon of juice and 1/2tsp Fermaid-K.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
SMOKEU
Recipes 

Don't dilute it. Use wine yeast.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
wreckinball9
Recipes 

were you going for an apple wine? if you dont want it to taste like a dry white wine, done use wine yeast and DO dillute it. If you want to let it age a year or more and like wine, leave as is.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

In case you missed it, I used 5g of Nottingham on this batch and it is bubbling like crazy with a thick krausen this morning.

Total liquid was 4.5gal apple juice, 1gal water, OG was 1.100 before the extra .5gal juice addition yesterday.

I'd like to bottle carb and start drinking this in a few months, which is why I used the Nottingham and not a wine yeast like D-47 or 71B. It should be interesting to see how far the Notty takes it.

Quick Reply