Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Add Lactose at Secondary or Bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Add Lactose at Secondary or Bottling?

I asked this question at the end of another thread, but I fear it's gotten lost in the other questions...

I'm going on 4 weeks in primary for a raspberry cider, and I plan to rack it to secondary in the next day or so. The recipe also calls for adding 1/2 lb of lactose and 4 oz of raspberry flavoring.

Could I add those while racking to the secondary to give them a good chance to mix well? They'd me mixed a second time when transferring to the bottling bucket this way.... or should I just wait and add them the same time I add the priming sugar at bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

It really doesn't matter. You can add them at any time. I'd probably add them at secondary, so you can add more later if it's not enough. In fact I'd probably add it to secondary, but a bit less than the recipe recommends. You can taste it later, and add more if needed. I'm not a fan of very sweet things, so I'm cautious when it comes to sweetening wines and ciders.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply