Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Active Fermentation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
djellenik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Active Fermentation ?

I am a newbie and am only working on my 3rd batch. I've had mixed results getting the yeast pitched correctly. How long after pitching the yeast should I see active bubbling from the air lock. Also how often between bubbles to consider "active" I am using Montrachet Yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeast kicks immediately but active fermentation can take between a couple of hours and multiple days. Air lock bubbles are not a good indicator of fermentation. Hydrometer readings will give a clear answer.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
70Cuda383
Recipes 

I've only been doing this for about 2 years now, but out of all the batches of beer and cider I've done, I've had "active fermentation" meaning bubbles rapidly going through the airlock within 5-10 hours of pitching the yeast.

I've never done hydrometer readings to measure fermentation, I've done afew to calculate ABV though.

I let all my stuff sit and age for at least 4 weeks if it's beer, and about 3 months if it's cider, before I bottle it. I'd be surprised if anything is still fermenting after 3 months!

Quick Reply