Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > "Accidental" hard apple cider (fermenting at cold temps)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
weaselchew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Accidental" hard apple cider (fermenting at cold temps)

We had an unopened half gallon of apple cider in the fridge. I've used this local orchard's cider to make hard cider in the past as it is very tasty, fresh and UV pasteurized only, but this one was just to drink as is (or was)

Well, it was forgotten behind some other containers for about a week, and yesterday my wife pulled it out of the fridge... it was much more round than before
I opened the lid (actually it blew off after getting most of the safety seal peeled off) and put an airlock on it. It's been happily bubbling away since. I was somewhat surprised that it was fermenting so vigorously in the 36°F fridge. I suppose there's no [free or cheap] way of determining what yeast(s) are fermenting this?

Since putting the airlock on, it's been in a 59-60°F room, but now I'm wondering if I should have left it in the 36°F to see how it would have turned out.

Obviously I didn't get an OG reading since it was still sealed. I suppose I could guesstimate OG by picking up another bottle of fresh cider there and measuring it, although I'm sure batches vary quite a bit at this small local orchard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've found leaving a jug in the fridge to complete an 'accidental' fermentation results in a relatively sweeter and funkier tasting cider since it's outside of the yeast's comfort range.

Bringing it up to a more normal fermentation temperature should make those same yeasties complete a crisp tasting cider.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
16onRockandRoll
Recipes 

Sorry for the newbie Q, but how did an unopened container ferment if it had been pasteurized?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
DamageCT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16onRockandRoll View Post
Sorry for the newbie Q, but how did an unopened container ferment if it had been pasteurized?
I'm a bit confused as well...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pasteurization does not kill the more vigorous yeasts strains

Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
weaselchew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16onRockandRoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageCT View Post
I'm a bit confused as well...
This cider is UV pasteurized, not heat pasteurized like a lot of commercial stuff. As far as I understand, UV is much more yeast-friendly than heat.

It also contains no preservatives, which is the bigger reason the wild yeasts were able to start fermentation.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
weaselchew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
I've found leaving a jug in the fridge to complete an 'accidental' fermentation results in a relatively sweeter and funkier tasting cider since it's outside of the yeast's comfort range.

Bringing it up to a more normal fermentation temperature should make those same yeasties complete a crisp tasting cider.
Thanks for this info, by the way. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, in either way it results.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
lilschmutz
Recipes 

I have the exact same thing happening to me in my fridge. It's a gallon of UV pasteurized cider from an orchard that's only been in there for about a week but its fermenting away. It must have been in the cooler at the grocery store for a while before I bought it. I wanted to make some hard caramel apple cider with it. It wouldnt be a problem to add some more yeast to it and pull it out of the fridge right? It's got some floaties on the top and its bulged out a bit from the pressure.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
kc9eci
Recipes 

Got my hands on a fruit press when I was in high school 82 or 83 or so. Picked a bunch of apples off a tree on our property and pressed them. Put the juice in those quart jars with the locking lids. Sort of like a wide mouth Grolsch bottle. One managed to get pushed to the back of the fridge on the bottle shelf. Out of sight is out of mind. At some point a few months later as the fridge was being cleaned, the cider in the jar was discovered. It was all fizzy and good tasting. Sometimes you have to love those accidental fermentations.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
lyle1
Recipes 

Help. New to this. Real new. How will this approach turn out? One thing for sure, I'm committed now!
I bought 2 martinellis unfiltered apple juice pasturized in 50.7 oz. glass containers. drank a bit off each one for space and put a 1/4 oz package ( 7 grams) of redstar baking yeast in each one and a heavy duty punch ball baloon on each one for air locks. Lettin em sit at room temp. they are doin their thing and now I need to know what next?

Quick Reply