Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Accidental first cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Morca007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accidental first cider?

Hello all. I have been planning to start homebrewing my own beer and cider for the past month now, and have been waiting until term is over to go home and get the equipment, start, and so on.

In the meantime, I bought myself some apple cider just to drink by itself. Unfortunately, there was no room in my fridge for it, so into the closet it went. When I checked it a few days later, it was swollen and fizzy. Of course, I was shocked, I had had a sip two days before and noticed nothing.
Now, since then, I have been cautiously observing it and letting off pressure twice a day since I'm worried about it bursting the flimsy plastic top.

I notice a large amount of sediment on the bottom, and some foam/brown matter on the top.

(terrible quality pictures)-

So, despite it being flash pasteurized, is it fermenting? And if so, will it be drinkable at some point? Again, if so, what should I be doing with it?

Thanks for your help. Next time, it'll be planned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah it's fermenting, but what is doing the job is questionable. wild yeast, bacteria, who knows. Maybe someone can pipe up with if it's safe to drink, I have to say no.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
fretman124
Recipes 

You could like I used to back in the day of chemical expirmentation.

Wait for another couple weeks or until it quits fermenting. Drink a small glass. wait an hour. If no ill effects, drink a bigger glass. wait another hour. If you aren't puking by then, drink the jug and catch a buzz

Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Morca007
Recipes 

fretman124- My backup plan.
z987k- Pretty much my sentiments right now.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
placervilledan
Recipes 

I have a relative who owns an apple orchard, and his method for cider is to take a couple of gallon jugs, poor a little bit off the top of each, poke holes into the tops, and then put them in a dark corner for a few months. No ill effects over the 50 odd years he has been doing it. The foam at the top and the sediment at the bottom is natural.

Interestingly, the first time I tried hard apple cider was at church and I was about 13. I was thirsty and grabbed some apple juice from a fridge. Turns out it was leftover from a kids function a couple of months prior. Tasted great. Gave me a little buzz too. I would cast my vote in favor of the try a little bit, then try a little bit more method. Yee Haw.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Adolphus79
EAC in training
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yup it's fermenting, the 'foam' at the top is krausen, it should fall away in a few more days, then you'll want to wait at least a month before doing anything with it... your best bet for the moment would be to take the cap off, and secure a balloon on top... let the balloon fill up, and when it deflates itself a month or so from now, it will be OK to drink... it would be better if you could (after that first month) rack it into a glass bottle and let it sit for another few months to age, but it will at least be drinkable after that first month...

Cheers,
Mike

"Give me yesterday's bread, this day's flesh, and last year's cyder." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

dont fear wild yeasties with your cider. I'm actually using them for my cider this year

Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphus79
Yup it's fermenting, the 'foam' at the top is krausen, it should fall away in a few more days, then you'll want to wait at least a month before doing anything with it... your best bet for the moment would be to take the cap off, and secure a balloon on top... let the balloon fill up, and when it deflates itself a month or so from now, it will be OK to drink... it would be better if you could (after that first month) rack it into a glass bottle and let it sit for another few months to age, but it will at least be drinkable after that first month...
You could also loosen the cap enough so the gas can disipate as needed. Just keep it threaded slightly.

Wait until it clears. If is tastes good its ok to drink. Usually badly infected stuff is nasty. You can also hit it with camden tablets when you think its done, then let it gass itself out and then keep it sealed while you drink it up.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 11-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #9
Morca007
Recipes 

Well, my friend and I decided to sample it, planning on one cup. I think we may finish the jug.
Damn tasty.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Morca007
Recipes 

Another question. The remainder that sat another week has cleared, and most of the krausen has fallen, but some white matter remains at the top. It looks almost fibrous. The cider smells absolutely foul, I think it's gone bad.

Quick Reply