Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > ABV calculation after backsweetening

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
roadymi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IMHO you will have a much better cider if you let ferment dry, age to clear, backsweeten to taste + .004, bottle and carbonate, pasteurize, let bottle condition for at least several months. I think their would be far fewer people disappointed in their ciders if they just slowed down and didn't rush the process. In the olden days before preserved store bought juice they put their fresh juice in the barrel in the fall and left it alone until spring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Tom_c
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually asked the question a while back, and the easiest and most reasonable explanation I heard was that as long as you don't let any more fermentation happen, it's just a ratio of volumes added. I ferment 4 gallons of juice, then backsweeten with 1 gallon of other stuff for flavor and sweetness, before throwing in the keg and fridge at 37 degrees, where I try to hold the temp. The alcohol content is then 4/5 what it was before I added it. Getting the gravity was possible, but too much work...

I normall start out with about 9%, then am down to 7ish after adding my stuff. Still a good amount.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply