Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > about to brew my first cider batch, some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

not poo...just gas

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
nickmpower
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
rejoice, your juice is fermenting.
hell yeah I'll drink to that. In 5 1/2 weeks that is

Old 11-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

two pounds straight cane sugar... and you makeing this for you an your buddies... hummm... well good luck and i leave it at that... i am putting up a post in a bit you might want to check out... next time dont rush things, get your hydrometer, your dextrose.... i never did here what kind of yeast your useing... I know your going away for a three weeks but i hope you have sombody to check your airlock for evaporation... although now that i think about it i have had to top mine off ever... but you should keep it checked on at least... good luck that all i say

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #24
nickmpower
Recipes 

could you give me some idea as to why cane sugar was a bad idea?

yeah i was kind of rushed to get it going

Montrachet yeast.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Table level cane sugar is highly prosessed for maximum sugar content in lowest mass possiable, so that is easily teansportable... Even brown sugar which i prefer is unfortunatly only slightly less processed, most companies prefering to just make regular table sugar as stated above and then add dark mollasses to it for the brow coloring... this causes a problem... the yeast get kind of over whemled in my experience and the achohal fermented in just like the sugar its made from, the best achohal content from the lowest mass possiable... so pure cane sugar in my experience is a contributing factor in lower achohal content and a very grainy(rough almost sand like) texture in the cider.... this does improve with age however.... dextrose or other brewing sugars, or ever unprocessed raw sugar, or honey or molasses are more complex sugars which haven't been processed the beans out of simply for the reason that it is lgither to ship that way, as with the case of dextrose and maltose (common brewing sugars boughts from brewers supplies) they are processed specifically for brewing, or if you buy dextrose from a store is is atleast processed less or in a differnt way from regular table cane sugar... the chemical process that most processed table sugar go through is called gloucouse chainning, its where chemincall the little sugar molocules which are made organicaly are linked togather to form larger and larger blocks to make longer and longer chains of sugar molcules and thus leave everything else behind, like much of sugars natral balencing compounds and the other things in natral sugar which make it taste better, ferment better, and basically better for you... some scientist believe that high content sugar processing is the cause of the rise of diabeaties in the human population...that the human body was never ment to process this pure of a form of sugar.... but i digress, this chemical processing of cane sugar unfortulatly is the cause of its poorer (but my no means inadaquate or dangerous or even signifcantly worese then other sugars) profromance and contriubte to its taste defects... also table cane sugar is just bad for you.... but thats not much to say about things when your drinking hard cdier is it?

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Last edited by BrewinJack; 11-28-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Personally, I think Jack is overreacting, while it will definitely produce different flavors than EdWorts intended dextrose, it won't produce any bad flavors. You might find that you even like the different flavors white sugar can produce. Do not worry about all, this is still early in your brewing career, you can always experiment with other methods, ingredients, and recipes. This whole hobby is about personalization and experimentation, try new things out till you like them, then do it again!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with Tusch. I have had to use cane sugar before and the results were not unpleasant. I also frequently use light brown sugar with excellent results. Go ahead and experiment. Find what YOU like. If was easy and simple everybody would be doing it

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #28
nickmpower
Recipes 

Alright, we will see what happends. So far this thing going like crazy. Maybe 3 big bubbles through the airlock every second.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

(shruggs) this is true i do tend to be an alarmist about such things, and it is important as those above have said that you find what you like that is why people home brew any way, if you that wasnt the case the you would just go out and buy a 6er of woodchucks or another store brand of hard cider and just drink that... i hope that my zeal did not discourage you on your brew in any way, we all start out the same when we start brewing, we use differnt ingredents and differnt equipment and differnt ideas but we all start out to have fun and try to create something new and differnt and unique pruely to ourselves, an more often then not (if you were like me) we dont know anything about brewing then the fact that we like the end result. I just like to talk sometimes, dont take it to heart much, unless if very important. and good luck Nick

Cheers

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #30
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

At two pounds for 5 gallons, I would be very surprised if any differences could be noted. Off flavors start being pronounced when you go over 30% ferment able sugars.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply