Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > about to brew my first cider batch, some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
nickmpower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default about to brew my first cider batch, some questions

So i went to the brew store the other day and there was a nice lady there that helped me out getting some stuff. I bought:

Bucket
Carboy
airlock
acid blend
Pectic enzyme
yeast nutrient
montrachet yeast
and campden tablets

I have seen this recipe

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

I will be leaving town in three weeks and back three weeks after that so i want the batch to take about 6 weeks. Also, I want the highest ABV i can get in that time. so im pretty much wondering how i should alter the recipie to take advantage of the time and higher ABV

Whats the deal with the acid blend, Pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient? do i not need any of these?

also do i need to start out in the bucket or can i go straight to the carboy? I figure this might be better for my first time. I plan on just putting it back in the apple juice bottles when its done.

the lady told me to put a campton tab for each gallon of juice, should i do this or no?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

acid blend and pectic enzyme aren't needed for apfelwein. Acid blend is to make it tarter, and pectic enzyme is for grapes to help clear out the must so it's not cloudy. The yeast nutrient will help suppress the rhino farts. You can use either the bucket or the carboy, it's up to you. cider and wine doesn't foam up as much as beer does, so headspace isn't as critical. You also don't need to add campden tablets unless you're buying unpasteurized juice.

You seem to be mistaken with time = alcohol content. The yeast will work to it's maximum tolerance and stop, all it needs is time and sugar. The more sugar you add, the higher it goes. It may take a week, or 4 weeks, but it'll get there. Also, if you're bottling in the apple juice bottles, I hope you don't want it carbonated. Non-carbonated bottles can and will explode if subjected to pressure.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
nickmpower
Recipes 

ok thanks.

So should a add a bit more then 2lbs of sugar? how much more?

how much yeast nutrient?

and yes i was not planning on carbonating this batch. I want to see how it is then maybe carbonate some of the next batch.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
curbdawg
Recipes 

you should run back to the supply store and pick up a hydrometer. You can use that to gauge your alcohol content. 3lbs of brown sugar brought my 5 gallons of cider up to 1.066 about 8.5-9% ABV if fermented dry.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
petes
Recipes 

If you're interested in the Apfelwein, why don't you just trust the recipe for starters? There're a few thousand brewers in front of you who have, before they started tweaking.
My first attempt is 3 weeks down, starting to slow and I'm expecting at least another 3 weeks before I can move on it. There's your 6 weeks.
Am expecting it to get around 9%ABV; couldn't get strain of yeast Ed uses so only variation to his recipe was my yeast.
You can go with the Edwort recipe straight into the carboy, keeps it simpler. Won't need Campden, nutrient, or pectic; you'll use them all another time so no loss there. Bucket too.
curbdawg's hydrometer suggestion's valid

Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
nickmpower
Recipes 

ok I will pick up a hydrometer.

should i stick with the 2lbs of corn sugar or bump it up to 2.5?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just go with the recipe as it is. Don't try to make it a higher %ABV. Its the the amount of alcohol in the drink that matters its how it tastes. If you are doing this to get drunk faster just find some everclear and add 1 quart of that to 3 quarts of apple juice.

Don't add the extra sugar the first time. Just follow it and see what you learn. It will be worth it.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
nickmpower
Recipes 

Yeah I'm a college kid making trying to make a drink for my firends and I. Should hopfully pick up the juice and sugar today, then get it going tonight. After I put the airlock on do i pretty much just set it and forget it? Try and move it around as little as possible? dosnt need light does it? When its done should i be able to pour it from the carboy to the containers or should I syphon it?

Last edited by nickmpower; 11-23-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

You must siphon it, if you pour you will be introducing oxygen to the brew which = cardboard taste or worse.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
nickmpower
Recipes 

so my local safeway doesnt have dextrose, where can i get it? costco wont have it will they?

can i substitute another kind of sugar? brown sugar was mentioned

Quick Reply