Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 5 Gallons and need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #11
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frydogbrews View Post
thats only because people are making it more complicated than it truly is. give it a few batches and you'll see what i mean.

you can go crazy and make it very rigidly and all that jazz and it will be great, or you coudl do it basic and it will still be delicious.
Did you read the part about him wanting to make a sweet carbed cider similar to Crispin? First issue is stopping the yeast, and is just something to be aware of if you are used to brewing beer. Next is carbing. While this is very easy to do with a kegging setup, he bottles which makes it somewhat more complex. I outlined two of the most foolproof methods to get a sweet carbed bottle cider. The easiest is if he has fridge space to permanently store the whole batch, but I doubt that is an option. The next most complicated is to pasteurize, and a more likely option for him. Those are two of the simplest methods I can think of.

Do you have another method you propose he follows? Your only advice is "do it basic", whatever that means.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

i didn't address that because others already had. i was imply reaasuring him that it wasn't as hard as it sounds and not to get too caught up in the various minutia of it all for his first batch.
the simplest method truly is backsweetening with an unfermentable like stevia, but i assumed he had already read one of the 300 posts about backsweetening.
no reason to get all cranky about it.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
i didn't address that because others already had. i was imply reaasuring him that it wasn't as hard as it sounds and not to get too caught up in the various minutia of it all for his first batch.
the simplest method truly is backsweetening with an unfermentable like stevia, but i assumed he had already read one of the 300 posts about backsweetening.
+1.. Chuckling

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
So instead of reinforcing the few important things mentioned to focus on, you tell him to not worry about any of it?
I guess I just assumed, based on his post stating he wanted to get his first batch right, that he wanted some relevant guidance and information, and not just the standard RDWHAHB back patting you gave. The whole purpose of asking for advice, and this forum, is to not have to flounder through the same beginner mistakes and learning experiences others have already gone through.

Quote:
That would have been some relevant input to discussion.
Although, even with a non-fermentable like stevia (which to me has a strange taste), you still need to stop the yeast early to leave some apple flavor, just not as early as if you want it naturally sweet or if using concentrate to sweeten. Otherwise, you just end up with something that tastes like sweetened cheap white wine.

Quote:
No reason to downplay others advice, especially by obfuscating the issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
+1.. Chuckling
I am chuckling too, about you documenting your membership in the peanut gallery.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lulz, I appreciate all advise.
I understand that you can do just about anything a million different ways, this is no different.

I have only WLP 001 yeast right now, will this work, or is this a bad idea?

I haven't pitched anything yet I still have the jugs in the fridge.

I also wonder if I should pour all the juice into the carboy then let it sit for a few hours to warm it up, then pitch the yeast. seems to make the most sense.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Ickythekid
Recipes 

Wow. I guess it doesn't just happen in video game forums.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
frydogbrews
Recipes 

sometimes people really do need a little backpatting and reassurance.
have we all become so jaded because of RDWHAHB? it actually is fairly sound advice and some things you aboslutely have to learn on your own no matter how much advice you read.

it will warm up quicker in smaller amounts rather than all mixed up, i would just let the chill get knocked off it since right now it is at fridge temps.
wlp 001 will work. it's not my first choice, but it will get the job done and leave a tasty beverage for you.
now let's all have a beer/cider/wine/ some schnapps for somebody maybe, and chill out.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
you still need to stop the yeast early to leave some apple flavor, just not as early as if you want it naturally sweet or if using concentrate to sweeten. Otherwise, you just end up with something that tastes like sweetened cheap white wine.
oh, and in the interest of good advice, i will point out that this is inaccurate. the apple flavor does go away sometimes, depends on what yeast you use really, but comes back with age.
it will taste like sweetened cheap white wine for a while, which is exactly what sweetened white wine tastes like when it is young and not ready for consumption.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Should I shake up the gallon jugs and get all the stuff that settled, or just pour?

Thanks for the advise, I plan on stepping up my starter tonight then pitching sometime wednesday.

I guess it would be different if I KNEW anyone that has brewed cider before. But lets get real, I don't need backpatting, I need to know how it is done. I have no books to read and only a mix of threads with differing opinions.

Me personally, I don't like vinegar based bbq sauce, while my best friend couldn't make it any other way. So if he were to post about how to make bbq sauce and how awesome it would taste, someone like myself could reproduce his exact recipe and hate it.

Quick Reply