Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 2 batches of CIDER!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
xcrusader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 batches of CIDER!!!

Alright.. I have 2 one gallon batches of cider.

The first batch.
1 gallon of apple juice
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tbls of honey
2 tbls of Maple syrup
packet of coopers ale yeast

Fermentation: very fast, had to put a blow off on it. After 1 week it is still bubbling in the air lock every 8 seconds. still not showing any signs of clearing.

TASTE: I took a few small sips and it was somewhat bitter and tart had a "funky" nose to it and very hard to drink.

Batch #2
1 gallon of apple juice
1 packet of coopers ale yeast

Fermentation: Not as quick as the first batch. after 1 week the air lock bubbles every 22 seconds. Beginning to clear quite nicely... which i didn't expect after 1 week.

TASTE: Tonight I took a half of a glass out of the dj. Chilled and served in my frozen mug. at first i was cautious because of the first batch. but then i took a big swig.... not too strong.. not too dry... apple flavor in tacked..... now I'm beginning to think that my first batch of cider is infected or something... I mean.. this stuff was pretty darn good... I need to give it a few months to age... but after that.. bring it on! I will keep you updated on both batches...

How long should I keep them in primary and secondary..
Also, how much sugar (cane, brown) should i put per 12 oz. bottle.. (remember I'm brewing in 1 gallon batches.. I don't want to put the sugar directly into the bottle, just mix up a syrup based on how many bottles I have.

Thanks,
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
xcrusader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ALLLLRIGHT...

Batch 2:
Good flavor and alcohol... bottled on 2/13/08 and it is carbing.

Batch 1:
Still in Primary and the airlock bubbles ever 15 to 20 seconds... bubbles are still visibly coming up from the bottom... there is a weird smell on this batch... and its darker. It is begginning to clear a bit, however, I noticed that the yeast on the bottom of the fermentor is very dark... It use to be white and brown now it is dark brown... I used a light brown sugar.. I dont know why its turning dark brown... DO I HAVE AN INFECTION?? I don't really like the smell of it right now.. Please help
Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

No, it sounds like it's probably not infected. Brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey are all fully fermentable, and they just take a while to ferment out. Don't worry about it yet- check it in another month or so, and it might be looking better to you!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
xcrusader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Batch number 2 update.
It is slowly carbing... it has been 13 days and it has carb, just not enough yet... I will let it go another week.. It is mellowing... it has good flavor and good alcohol.

Question, In this batch i used straight apple juice, what should I expect for an OG and a FG with coopers ale yeast? or an abv?

Batch number 1 update

Airlock bubbles every 20 to 30 seconds.
When I get my order from morebeer.com I will bottle it! It has cleared nicely as well.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
xcrusader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Batch number 1 update!

Bottled... I got a little sip of it... TART!! and DRY!! I didn't backsweeten when I bottled, but everthing is an experiment.. Now I have 2 yeastcakes that need juice!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
xcrusader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Batch Number 1: update

Opened test bottle.. Too much carb. yeasty tart. needs a long age.

My next adventure will be a gallon each with same weight amounts of cane, brown, and dextrose sugars. All with the same ale yeast. Its quick and comes out of solution nicely. As of right now I prefer my straight juice and yeast no sugar added cider. I am going to backsweeten a bit when I make my next batch. Also, I got some montrachet so I will be making some Apfelwein.
Later!

Quick Reply