New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 2 bad batches of fro co cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
highjumphero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 bad batches of fro co cider

I have been making cider for about a year now and have made 5 batches using apple juice and dry yeast without any problems. It always turned out fantastic! The last batch that i made with juice I back sweetened with 1 gal of juice and kegged for newyears was the hit of the party!
The last 2 batches of cider I have made from frozen concentrate and they both spoiled. After the first 2 weeks the cider would clear in the carboy, after that it would get cloudy. When I was transfering it to the keg I tryed a glass and it turned out horrible!

Anyone else had bad luck with frozen juice?
The only other thing i have changed is adding yeast neutriant to speed up the fermentation. I do not boil the water that i am using in the cider, that may be a problem, but i do not boil the top off water in my beer and it has always turned out fine.
My cousin made his first batch of cider from frozen concentrate and his tastes a little spoiled, not as bad. He used the same process as i did but used city water vs my well water.

Cheers!
Jonathan
Sandy Lake Estate Brewing Co

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are there preservatives in the frozen concentrate?
Did you take SG readings to see if fermentation started?
Are your sanitation practices sound?
I've never boiled water I used in my ciders, wines, and meads. We have very good tasting well water.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
highjumphero
Recipes 

The only additives to the juice are asorbic acid.
I did take my SG reading but did not get a FG because I dumped it halfway through racking. It is like fermentation starts and finnishes ( airlock bubbles like crazy, yeast flocculates, cider clears off), and after that it gets cloudy.
I wash everything after each use, and wash and starsan everything before use.
I am thinking that the opening of each cardboard tube and measuring of all the water adds too much exposure.

Cheers!
Jonathan

Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your process seems sound.
I've not used concentrate for a cider. I do use it for backsweetening with no issues so far. (knock on wood). I guess if you are concerned you could dip the concentrate tubes in sanitizer before you open them.

The only step I could think to add would be 1 crushed campden tablet / gallon then wait 24 hrs to pitch your yeast.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I second the Campden if you're haven problems. It should eliminate any nasties that get in at the beginning.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
highjumphero
Recipes 

Sounds good, I am currently making a batch from juice, maybe it is an issue with my equipment. One thing i did notice is that the juice is pastureized and the concentrate says nothing of pastuerization.

Cheers!
Jonathan

Quick Reply