Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st time native yeast cider attempt!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draagro View Post
Well this is definitely instilling some hope for me. It's only been sitting for a day now. I did not add any campden. I'm gonna put it in the basement and let it sit and see what happens. I'll keep an eye and sample it in maybe a few months.

So Here's one my question. I did get quite enough juice to fill the carboy. I have about 8" of head space. Could that be an issue? Should I maybe put it in i gallon jugs so that I can get rid of the head space?

Also, I've got to go look up that Pickle recipe!! Thanks for the heads up. I've done that same thing with jalapenos before. Worked Great.
Venturing a bit off the map with the pickle talk, here's the recipe I use.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/805067

Do NOT use pickling spice like McCormicks or really any. I found the taste to be horrifying. You may wish to add some tannins in whatever form you choose to keep the pickles firm. I made super strong tea and squeezed the bag to get ultra tannin and put a bit of that in, which seemed to help. Current batch uses bay leaves as i'm told they have tannins in them.

I think it would be interesting to combine the cider with the pickles and make naturally fermented pickles / cider all in one. Maybe it would vinegarify itself right in the bucket.

You don't need to leave it exposed to the air for any great length of time. There's so much bacteria on everything in the world that nature will innoculate your pickles by itself. Sometimes I have trouble getting the fermentation to start so I just slice a cucumber lengthwise to expose the innards to the juice which introduces a little fast food buffet for the bacteria. They seem to be quite smitten with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draagro View Post
So Here's one my question. I did get quite enough juice to fill the carboy. I have about 8" of head space. Could that be an issue? Should I maybe put it in i gallon jugs so that I can get rid of the head space?
this is easy, and important! for primary fermentation it's fine, provides oxygen, and any excess oxygen is pushed out by the large amount of co2 generated. if you then leave it for a while in that same vessel after it finishes fermenting, again it's fine because there is no oxygen. but if you transfer into another vessel and leave headspace after it has finished fermenting, that's asking for trouble. then you want to rack to smaller vessels and fill to the top
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
Draagro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
this is easy, and important! for primary fermentation it's fine, provides oxygen, and any excess oxygen is pushed out by the large amount of co2 generated. if you then leave it for a while in that same vessel after it finishes fermenting, again it's fine because there is no oxygen. but if you transfer into another vessel and leave headspace after it has finished fermenting, that's asking for trouble. then you want to rack to smaller vessels and fill to the top
Thank you. that was my thought, but was the confirmation that I was looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply