Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st run with nottingham

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
ssuchem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1st run with nottingham

so i have a batch that i made with nottingham and its been stuck at 1.010 for a week. og was about 1.065
is it done? it tastes very strong but has a great apple scent. and everytime i take a sample for sg it has bits of the yeast cake float to the top and bubbles like crazy. is it done or still going? im gonna have to back sweeten the hell out of this i think. so should i rack it over back sweeten and bottle? or let it go some more. ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're done! Rack and enjoy!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nottingham will ferment lower than 1.010 from 1.065. What temp has it been for the past week? Do you mind if it's not completely clear?

If you are going to pasteurize it doesn't really mater what the gravity is though. That said, if there's a stuck fermentation it may not carbonate in the bottle.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
ssuchem
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Nottingham will ferment lower than 1.010 from 1.065. What temp has it been for the past week? Do you mind if it's not completely clear?

If you are going to pasteurize it doesn't really mater what the gravity is though. That said, if there's a stuck fermentation it may not carbonate in the bottle.
I don't reAlly care if clear or not. Its been about 65 in the house. 70 at the Max. It looks like its still goi ng. Maybe I should feed it some ajc to see if that kick starts it up again. I

Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

There's plenty of sugars left in there that you shouldn't need to add juice, but it wouldn't hurt if you have headspace in your fermenter. (just keep in mind it will increase your ABV, alter your Gravity Readings and Prolong Fermentation)

I've never used it, but I've heard some people add yeast energizer to kick up a slow fermentation.

If it looks like it's still moving, I'd let it ride for a while. If it drops to 1.005 or below, you'll definitely have enough yeast cells to bottle.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I just had the exact same thing happen to me with a nottingham cider. It sat at 1.010 for a month so I bottled it with dextrose. It's been a month in the bottle now and it's got a little carbonation but tastes great. I'm hoping it carbs up a little more but not too much. If they start getting too carbed for me I'm just gonna throw them all in my beer fridge. It is crystal clear too.

Quick Reply