1st cider, keep it simple!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs3902

Reaction score
For my first cider , 3 gallon batch,I want to do it as simply as possible, dry and carbed.

I'm going to pick up 3 gallons of fresh, pasteurized cider from a local orchard, add brown sugar until I get a gravity of 1.055, put it in a carboy, shake to aerate, add a packet of Nottingham yeast, and let ferment a couple of weeks until I get stable readings. Add 3oz. Priming sugar and bottle.

Does this seem like an acceptable recipe/procedure for an easy, yet drinkable apple cider?

As always, any feedback is appreciated!

walte1fr said:
Should be fine. I used a stick of cinnamon in my keg also just to add a little more flavor.

That sounds good, maybe I'll put a cinnamon stick or 2 in there. Do you think that I should leave them in throughout the whole fermentation or "dry hop" with cinnamon sticks for a period of time, 7 days, 2 weeks, whatever?

I put them in the keg so If I were to bottle it I would dry hop it with them for 2 weeks before bottling

Should be okay, you kept it under the 'magic' 6%. That's the point where cider stops tasting like apples, IMHO.

david_42 said:
Should be okay, you kept it under the 'magic' 6%. That's the point where cider stops tasting like apples, IMHO.

Thanks for the tip. What OG would you suggest?

Back