Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st brew using shop bought kit...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hahah, I can't speak for fish, but it's all quite easy once you get to grips with it. Adding sugar will cause the carbonation yes, because the side product of the yeast has nowhere to escape to - whereas when you ferment, you use an airlock so the co2 can escape. the increase in pressure from this will cause your cider to dispense like it does from draught taps at the pub - when it's used up all the co2 produced, you'll need to add more sugar in then. It won't lose co2 gradually unless there's somewhere for it to escape to, it's just used up, much like petrol (which incidentally is what it sounds like you're brewing )

As for upping the sugar content if you want to ferment the same brew a second time to make it stronger - for ease of use, you'd probably be better adding in sugar, because you've already got your water content in there. Next time, try and add enough the first time around

Apple juice - your only acceptable preservative is vitamin C, apparently - others can cause your cider not to ferment, which would result in no carbonation if you add it at a late stage, or no fermentation whatsoever if you try to use it as your base ingredient to ferment. You'll want to get juice that isn't from concentrate (100%,) and only the juice and vitamin C can be there. I use Morrisons "best" Cloudy Organic Apple Juice. it's about £1.20 a litre, but it's often on 2 for £2. any other type of 100% supermarket juice would suffice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
renshaw
Recipes 

cider i've made from kits takes around four days at 24 0C

yet from juice takes a few weeks/days depending on the yeast i use!

To carb..
Add one teaspoon of sugar per litre dissolved in a little water, I'd estimate beweetn 90 - 120 g per five gallon.
Long you leave it, More carbed it'll get.
If you drink quicker mate, You might still taste a tiny amount of sweetness as you need to weight for the yeast to finish

Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

well mine has been fermenting for 2 weeks now and the SG still hasnt reached 998 so i'm just going to wait untill it does , or well as near as.

Went to tesco's today and got some pure apple juice which i'm going to add once it has got to room temp,.. or should i heat in a pan to sterilize it? Just going to add 1 litre see how that goes, hopefully will add a bit of flavour.

@ renshaw

out of interest which kit did you get?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

After adding the apple juice i can see bubbles coming to the surface again, stuck my head in the bucket to smell it and coughed my guts up lol gas up my nose! Is it normal to be carbinated when in first fermenting stage?
I sampled a small amount tasted ok if not a little watery and slightly fizzy although had a cider sort of taste.
SG has now reached 1.000 so i'm wondering if i should barrel it soon? or hang on until saturday which would be 3 weeks fermenting then.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
renshaw
Recipes 

right mate
I has started secondary fermentation.
If you want it carb then keg it now, with a little extra sugar (100g) ish i think.

If you don't want it carbed then leave the yeasties to get rid of all the apple juice.

If you wanted to keep the apple flavour that you added search for "how to stop fermentation in wine" cannot remember the chemical but their is something you add so you can add fruit

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #16
aquabloke
Recipes 

Don't want to hijack the thread and yes this is my first post (Lurking around a long while so Hello!!!) I have the same kit along with another tested at 6% and looking nice and clear and am happy at the strength and clarity of the primary. My question is the Mrs has organised a party on the 23rd of this month and I do prefer some carbonation in the bottle. Do I have time to get out a clear but likely not so great cider in time for a lot of people who will prefer volume over content while trying to give them a home brewed flavour?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As for storebought juice - I havn't sterilized in the past and havn't had any problems. But that's not to say it's not wise to boil it up first...

Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabloke View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread and yes this is my first post (Lurking around a long while so Hello!!!) I have the same kit along with another tested at 6% and looking nice and clear and am happy at the strength and clarity of the primary. My question is the Mrs has organised a party on the 23rd of this month and I do prefer some carbonation in the bottle. Do I have time to get out a clear but likely not so great cider in time for a lot of people who will prefer volume over content while trying to give them a home brewed flavour?
if it's clear and you are happy with it then the answer is... Maybe! probably. if you are sure it is finished fermenting then you can prime as for beer, bottle it, and wait and see. if you aren't sure (if still fermenting then you risk exploding bottles) or are willing to risk over-priming for the sake of speed then you could bung in a little extra sugar and bottle safely in 2L plastic bottles, not very classy but effective, and you know from feel when they done, almost rock hard and you are there, then fridge them until the party. if you have fridge space that is. you never know how long they are going to take to carb up, too many variables, so there is no rule of thumb. could take 3 days could take 3 weeks

Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
aquabloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
if it's clear and you are happy with it then the answer is... Maybe! probably. if you are sure it is finished fermenting then you can prime as for beer, bottle it, and wait and see. if you aren't sure (if still fermenting then you risk exploding bottles) or are willing to risk over-priming for the sake of speed then you could bung in a little extra sugar and bottle safely in 2L plastic bottles, not very classy but effective, and you know from feel when they done, almost rock hard and you are there, then fridge them until the party. if you have fridge space that is. you never know how long they are going to take to carb up, too many variables, so there is no rule of thumb. could take 3 days could take 3 weeks
Many thanks for the advice, its all bottled up now and the waiting game begins.

I have started using Tesco 2 litre 17p still water pet bottles as I make the next brew with the still water and prefer the slightly safer idea of not exploding glass bottles in the house. Here's hoping it will be ready in time

Quick Reply