The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st Batch Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
rstanavech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a batch that took a day or so to start. I added another pack of yeast (thinking i killed the first pack somehow). I also wrapped a heating pad around the carboy and held it with a belt. I turned it on low and let it warm it up a bit. The next morning the airlock was going nuts so i removed the heating pad and left the yeasty minions to their work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try stirring it up to resuspend the yeast if you still have no activity after 3-4 days. Don't give up! :-)

Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
drizzle
Recipes 

Ok so I repitched and it worked great thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

*Thumbs up* :-)

Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstanavech View Post
I had a batch that took a day or so to start. I added another pack of yeast (thinking i killed the first pack somehow). I also wrapped a heating pad around the carboy and held it with a belt. I turned it on low and let it warm it up a bit. The next morning the airlock was going nuts so i removed the heating pad and left the yeasty minions to their work.
What type of yeast did you use some yeast take a few days to cone around...this is just a figure reference thing...I use a lot of ale yeast in my ciders. Some times d-47

Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
tkrecky
Recipes 

Ok so I re-pitched last Tuesday night. Then left for a ski trip and just got home last night the airlock wasn't doing much. It could have had activity when I was gone. The room is approx 65. Should I open and test or wait? What could be killing the yeast if it is again dead?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

I'd say test it. If you still don't have a drop in gravity, then never buy that brand of juice again, they probally have a preservative in there and didn't put it on the label.

But hopefully your ferment is done!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
tkrecky
Recipes 

Slayer, I plan on testing tonight but could ferment of 1.07 juice really be done in 6 days?

Here is the cider that I bought it was from a local orchard in Des Moines. http://www.iowaorchard.com/appleciderandspices.html

Do you think that they add something to the juice that kills all yeast so that they can sell "Fresh" cider all winter?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrecky View Post
Slayer, I plan on testing tonight but could ferment of 1.07 juice really be done in 6 days?

Here is the cider that I bought it was from a local orchard in Des Moines. http://www.iowaorchard.com/appleciderandspices.html

Do you think that they add something to the juice that kills all yeast so that they can sell "Fresh" cider all winter?
Sodium Benzonate.

I've been racking my brain to remember that chemicals name. I had to flip through the old threads to find it. This chemical could be the source of the problem.

But to answer your first question, sure! A 1.070 gravity can get chewed through with a high temp, or a large pitch of yeast and enough nutrient. Like I said before, hopefully that's what has happened!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
rstanavech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post

Sodium Benzonate.

I've been racking my brain to remember that chemicals name. I had to flip through the old threads to find it. This chemical could be the source of the problem.

But to answer your first question, sure! A 1.070 gravity can get chewed through with a high temp, or a large pitch of yeast and enough nutrient. Like I said before, hopefully that's what has happened!
I recently did a batch that was hard to start. Then i looked at the label again "potassium sorbate"!! I got it to ferment just have to add enough sugars to over come it. Not about Sodium Benzonate

Quick Reply