The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st Batch Problems

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
tkrecky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Default 1st Batch Problems

Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.

__________________
tkrecky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,291
Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrecky View Post
Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.
Close it up tight. Get more yeast in there asap. One of the reasons we usually pitch the ammounts of yeast that we do is so that they dominate the environment. You may have a small ammount of wild yeast starting to grow in there, but if you get a fresh packet of brewers yeast in the cider, it should take over. Good luck!
__________________
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
drizzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??

__________________
drizzle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,291
Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??
Drizzle, did the ingredients have anything else that might inhibit fermentation?
__________________
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
tkrecky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Default

I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?

__________________
tkrecky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,291
Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrecky View Post
I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?
Most folks add pectic about 24 hrs before pitching yeast. But it shouldn't be a big deal if you added them all at the same time. Did you?
__________________
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
tkrecky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Default

I did 12 hours.

__________________
tkrecky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
tkrecky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Default

is it possible to over mix? the yeast? also i just pitched the dry yeast in i didn't make a starter.

__________________
tkrecky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,291
Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrecky View Post
is it possible to over mix? the yeast? also i just pitched the dry yeast in i didn't make a starter.
I have never had a problem just pitching dry yeast. In fact, I have never rehydrated! =-O
__________________
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
drizzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

I read the labels it was pasteurized apple cider ascorbic acid and malic acid but I read that was ok im still stuck

__________________
drizzle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first batch problems please help scripto Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 71 01-14-2013 02:22 PM
First batch problems. nobo_87 Mead Forum 10 02-12-2012 03:03 AM
First Batch and having problems StuMay Fermentation & Yeast 5 10-29-2009 12:35 AM
Problems with first batch JSug Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-15-2006 04:01 AM
Problems with New Batch? ldaug Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 10-15-2005 11:53 PM