The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st Batch Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
tkrecky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st Batch Problems

Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrecky View Post
Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.
Close it up tight. Get more yeast in there asap. One of the reasons we usually pitch the ammounts of yeast that we do is so that they dominate the environment. You may have a small ammount of wild yeast starting to grow in there, but if you get a fresh packet of brewers yeast in the cider, it should take over. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
drizzle
Recipes 

Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??
Drizzle, did the ingredients have anything else that might inhibit fermentation?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
tkrecky
Recipes 

I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?
Most folks add pectic about 24 hrs before pitching yeast. But it shouldn't be a big deal if you added them all at the same time. Did you?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
tkrecky
Recipes 

I did 12 hours.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
tkrecky
Recipes 

is it possible to over mix? the yeast? also i just pitched the dry yeast in i didn't make a starter.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
is it possible to over mix? the yeast? also i just pitched the dry yeast in i didn't make a starter.
I have never had a problem just pitching dry yeast. In fact, I have never rehydrated! =-O

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
drizzle
Recipes 

I read the labels it was pasteurized apple cider ascorbic acid and malic acid but I read that was ok im still stuck

Quick Reply