Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 100% brett cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #61
Oldnastingham
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Is it possible for Brett to occur naturally? I've made three batches using Wyeast4766 and unfiltered, organic juice. I really enjoy the way it turns out but friend who's sampled the same batches tells me he thinks it is "growing" characteristic claiming it is stronger each time he tastes it. I have cold crashed and kegged each batch. The last 5 gallons lasted about 10 days before it was gone and I definitely enjoyed the last bit. My other ciders with different juices and yeasts don't have this, so by deduction it has to be the yeast or the juice, obviously. My thought is the juice, wouldn't the yeast people advertise some sort of Brett qualities with this strain?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #62
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnastingham View Post
Is it possible for Brett to occur naturally? I've made three batches using Wyeast4766 and unfiltered, organic juice. I really enjoy the way it turns out but friend who's sampled the same batches tells me he thinks it is "growing" characteristic claiming it is stronger each time he tastes it. I have cold crashed and kegged each batch. The last 5 gallons lasted about 10 days before it was gone and I definitely enjoyed the last bit. My other ciders with different juices and yeasts don't have this, so by deduction it has to be the yeast or the juice, obviously. My thought is the juice, wouldn't the yeast people advertise some sort of Brett qualities with this strain?
Brett was almost certainly in the juice unless you used a campden tablet or pasteurized the juice.

It is possible that the brett built up and is working post fermentation, but it wouldn't be a noticeable difference in 10 days.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #63
Oldnastingham
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

In a follow up: I had some leftover plain juice kicking at room temp in the gallon jug it came in and after a few days of cracking the lid here and there, it developed a pretty sizable yeast cake. Took a reading and it was 1.02 up from 1.06. Fizzy and sweet with that distinct Brett taste I have been getting in my previous batches. Cool juice!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #64
CodlingMoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Glad to see this one humming again. I just bottled my 100% Brett B and wow. It's nice. We drank it out of a porron a few nights ago. It hasn't really fully carbed yet. But before bottling, it tasted of unripe stone fruit and that meaty salami like Brett aftertaste. Killer! I will never not make a big batch of this style every year now. Really nice stuff.

Quick Reply