Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1 week later... is there still hope for my cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
frydogbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

that's really easy, just get your hands on some acetobacter. go buy a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar, make sure it is cloudy and says the mother is in the bottle. then, take a bottle of your hard cider, shake the hell out of it and open it a bunch (oxygenate it) then dump a shot of that mother filled cider vinegar in there. give it a month or two. done and done.
you might want to open and oxygenate every now and then, but that is up to you.
after that, once your bottle starts running low, just make another bottle with the sludge in your old one, never need to buy apple cider vinegar again.
i don't suggest canning things with this vinegar though as you will not be exactly sure of the acidity (without testing it) and canning needs to be exact. great in salads and stuff though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frydogbrews View Post
that's really easy, just get your hands on some acetobacter. go buy a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar, make sure it is cloudy and says the mother is in the bottle. then, take a bottle of your hard cider, shake the hell out of it and open it a bunch (oxygenate it) then dump a shot of that mother filled cider vinegar in there. give it a month or two. done and done.
you might want to open and oxygenate every now and then, but that is up to you.
after that, once your bottle starts running low, just make another bottle with the sludge in your old one, never need to buy apple cider vinegar again.
i don't suggest canning things with this vinegar though as you will not be exactly sure of the acidity (without testing it) and canning needs to be exact. great in salads and stuff though!
Excellent! Thanks! I'll give it a go. So does the process of acidification of the cider convert the alcohol?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #13
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I can only give my extremely limited experience with cider. If I brew a beer at 1.090 and pitch properly, it reaches FG in like 4 days. If I make a 1.090 cider and pitch the same as I would for an ale but add nutrient, it will take a lot longer to get started and go slowly for about 2 or 3 weeks. It is just mind blowing how long they can eat away at cider.

I hope it's worth the price of the cider! I'm waiting on your experience to convince me to get some cider from Minea farms. My wife will be considerably more accepting of my latest brewing obsession if I make some amazing cider.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
JasonOdd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
I can only give my extremely limited experience with cider. If I brew a beer at 1.090 and pitch properly, it reaches FG in like 4 days. If I make a 1.090 cider and pitch the same as I would for an ale but add nutrient, it will take a lot longer to get started and go slowly for about 2 or 3 weeks. It is just mind blowing how long they can eat away at cider.

I hope it's worth the price of the cider! I'm waiting on your experience to convince me to get some cider from Minea farms. My wife will be considerably more accepting of my latest brewing obsession if I make some amazing cider.
Well, I didn't throw any nutrient or extra yeast in there. I just shook it up really good and it started fermenting really nice.

I started a second cider the same day the Minea juice started fermenting. This time I used the $2 Safeway juice and it took 2lbs of lt. brown sugar to reach the same 1.060 gravity the Minea juice had with 1lb of sugar. With the new juice I used the same yeast and let it puff up the package and sit for the 3 hours (the Minea I just tossed it strait in), I also tossed some nutrient in the sugar water as it was boiling. It started fermenting like mad in about 8 hours.

Since your just down the road from me, I'll bring some of both to try when they are done, if you like. I just hope the Minea juice is up to par after just "sitting around" for 5 days in the carboy.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

I've had great luck with Costco (Kirkland) brand cider. Better than the Tree Top they also sell. I'm pretty new to this also.

Try taking a cup or so of the juice and toss in a black tea bag and brew that (one bag for one gallon) in juice. Let that cool and add that to your batch. Toss in some yeast nutrient and yeast then let it go.

The black tea adds some tannins which gives it a bit more tartness. I can tell a big difference if the tea is not there.

There are a few places out on the Redmond / Woodinville road that has great cider in the late summer. It is more expensive than the Costco juice but would probably make a better end product.

If you like it sweet be sure to stop fermentation before it goes dry. Mmm....

Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckarsanac
Yeah. It is expensive. I think Mead is even more expensive to make! $60 for honey to make a 5 gallon batch....
$60!? Where do you get your honey? My Variatel, Raw honey Meads cost a minimum of $80 for 5 gallons, usually more like $100 all-told. My last Hard Cider cost me over $80 as well. Turned out damn good, though.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeSnob View Post
I've had great luck with Costco (Kirkland) brand cider. Better than the Tree Top they also sell. I'm pretty new to this also.

Try taking a cup or so of the juice and toss in a black tea bag and brew that (one bag for one gallon) in juice. Let that cool and add that to your batch. Toss in some yeast nutrient and yeast then let it go.

The black tea adds some tannins which gives it a bit more tartness. I can tell a big difference if the tea is not there.

There are a few places out on the Redmond / Woodinville road that has great cider in the late summer. It is more expensive than the Costco juice but would probably make a better end product.

If you like it sweet be sure to stop fermentation before it goes dry. Mmm....
I've been using the whole foods 365 brand apple juice. It comes unfiltered in glass gallon jugs. It's the best I've had of store bought juice. I just take a quart, reduce it and use it to make caramel with sugar and a little maple syrup. Then add it all back in. Throw in some yeast and go. It comes pre-packaged in a gallon fermenter for me.

Next batch, I'll try the tea! It sounds good.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've been using the whole foods 365 brand apple juice. It comes unfiltered in glass gallon jugs. It's the best I've had of store bought juice. I just take a quart, reduce it and use it to make caramel with sugar and a little maple syrup. Then add it all back in. Throw in some yeast and go. It comes pre-packaged in a gallon fermenter for me.

Next batch, I'll try the tea! It sounds good.
Yeah, I looked at other ciders but the Costco juice is only ~3.50 a gallon.

The tea is great. It's funny because you don't outright taste it but if it's missing you can tell.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

you folks are getting robbed on your honey! i was just mentioning this on another thread, but raw local honey around st. louis goes for around 33 bucks a gallon or so. gallon = 12 pounds. so a batch of mead runs me about 45 bucks because i use 15 lbs of honey. probably why i make so much of it!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Home brew heaven has local honey for 2.65 a pound. Minea farms has honey, but I haven't checked on the price. There are a lot of types of honey, some reasonable and some expensive. It depends on what you are looking for in a mead.

Quick Reply