New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1 week later... is there still hope for my cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
JasonOdd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 1 week later... is there still hope for my cider?

I slapped 5 gallons of un-pasteurized, preservative free Minea Farms apple cider and 5 crushed Campden into my 6 gal carboy. 30 hours or so later, I added 1lb brown sugar (boiled w/ water and cooled)
Before the sugar my OG was 1.052, after the sugar it was 1.060

I then added 1 packet of Wyeast Lab's 4184 Sweet Mead activator yeast directly to the carboy and gave it a solid shaking & swirling.

My air-lock never moved or gave any sign of life. I saw no action in the carboy.

It's been at least a week and I decided to give it a smell and test the gravity.

It smells like apple cider with no off-smells and the reading is 1.052.. so I guess something has happened.

I gave it another massive shake and mixed the lees up real good (they had all fallen) and put the air-lock back on it.

Am I making vinegar at this stage? Should I just wait 3 more days and see happens, or is it time to dump $40 of juice on the yard and try again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Ckarsanac

Recipes 

If it doens't smell off and you're pretty confident of your cleanliness, I would just pitch another round of yeast. Do you have any more? Maybe the Campden wasn't completely gone yet... They should be now.

Definitely pitch some more yeast and give it another week. Don't ditch it unless it starts to smell vinegar-y...

Last edited by Ckarsanac; 07-27-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

May not be enough nutrients for good cell growth, but since the fermentation has started, it should keep working.

What is the fermenter temperature? Wyeast indicates 65-75F, that makes me thing the yeast is very sensitive to temperature.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
JasonOdd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am fanatical about cleaning and sanitizing and the temp has been 68 - 72 in this room.

So I guess I'll buy another packet of yeast... beer is way cheaper :-p

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Ckarsanac

Recipes 

Yeah. It is expensive. I think Mead is even more expensive to make! $60 for honey to make a 5 gallon batch....

Do you have any yeast nutrients to add, too? Maybe a tsp or 2 should help lots...

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Foomoochoo
Recipes 

Take a gravity reading in a couple days. If it is stagnant, re-pitch the yeast after some aeration. Should be plenty of nutes to start fermentation at least.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
JasonOdd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well.. the airlock just burped! ... Maybe the air from mixing it around and getting the yeast off the bottom will bring this rebel cider into submission!

If the gravity is the same this weekend I'll pick up some more yeasties and "nutes".

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The airlock's not a great sign of fermentation, just air escaping, although it sounds like you already know this...if it's going constantly, then it's fermenting.

If it still doesn't work, or if you have this problem again, try making a yeast starter and mixing it in.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

another note though, to make vinegar, acetobacter would've had to get in there, usually by fruit flies.
anyway, if it does end up as vinegar, don't throw it away!!! delicious applecider vinegar with the "mother" still in it is expensive to buy in the stores, plus it crazy good for you, and, as stated, it's delicious!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frydogbrews View Post
another note though, to make vinegar, acetobacter would've had to get in there, usually by fruit flies.
anyway, if it does end up as vinegar, don't throw it away!!! delicious applecider vinegar with the "mother" still in it is expensive to buy in the stores, plus it crazy good for you, and, as stated, it's delicious!
How do you go from hard cider to vinegar? I'd be interested in taking a bottle of my latest cider and making a great vinegar!

Quick Reply