*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1 Gallon Cider Experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
hehawbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

A local orchard in MD makes a cherry flavor apple cider. It's very tasty and is sold in 1/2 gallon glass jugs. I made a gallon with a cup of sugar and lavlin 1118. It's dry, bubbly, and pretty refreshing. Almost like a cranberry gingerale(only dry).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #22
hehawbrew
Recipes 

So- tonight I took 12oz of blackberries with 3/4 cup of sugar and made a syrup. Added it to a gallon of walleyworld AJ with some nutrient and ale yeast..... Hope it is sooooo tasty!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds awesome hehawbrew. I saw a 100% blackberry juice at the store today, seriously thinking about just fermenting some apple juice to dry and backsweetening with that. Let me know hows yours turns out.

Bottled the strawberry cider today. Fermentation (as usual) has knocked the flavour for six. Very very little strawberry flavour detectable. Im hoping that it will come through in the next few weeks while aging in the bottles. I backsweetened with almost a gallon of apple juice, so the final ABV sits at about 5%. Not bad!

Picked up two free pineapples from EarthFare today. Plan is to throw some brown sugar into a gallon of apple juice and I'll let it ferment to about 1.010. Then juice one of the pineapples and use that to backsweeten. Hopefully the brown sugar + pineapple turns out as nice as it sounds in my head.

I'll get a pick up of the strawberry cider when I pour one (going to have to pasteurize in a few days if all goes according to plan). It has a really nice pink tinge to it now.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Well, it's fermenting well! Cant wait to hear how strawberry cider goes!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
Safa
Recipes 

Man, the Nottingham is really going to town on the batch that will be pineapple cider. I added 2 cups light brown sugar to the gallon and pitched half a packet of Notti last night (about 24 hours ag)? And right now it's pushing about 2 bubbles a second and it looks and sounds like a fresh coke!

(Those white streaks you see on the bottom left are bubbles. This thing is literally fizzing)

image-1698455562.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #26
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
Man, the Nottingham is really going to town on the batch that will be pineapple cider. I added 2 cups light brown sugar to the gallon and pitched half a packet of Notti last night (about 24 hours ag)? And right now it's pushing about 2 bubbles a second and it looks and sounds like a fresh coke!

(Those white streaks you see on the bottom left are bubbles. This thing is literally fizzing)

Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
Safa
Recipes 

Strawberry cider plastic bottle was really hard last night, so I threw a glass one in the fridge and popped it about an hour later. Still not carbonated (did have a bit of a fizz as I opened it, but that's it).

The flavour though is fantastic. Just a very light strawberry taste to it, nice and sweet and clean. Great pink tinge to it as well, I know the SWMBO is going to love it

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #28
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Nice!

I'm still very new to all this. I have no problem carbing my beer but am having a hard time with cider.... For my gallon beers I use 3 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup....I use the same with my cider but get far less carbonation....

Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
hehawbrew
Recipes 

I was grocery shopping tonight and Welches grape juice caught my eye..... Bought enough for a gallon experiment!! For those of you who have done this, what can I expect?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 AM   #30
Safa
Recipes 

Not sure why the carb isn't working out for you. Are you giving your ciders enough time in the fridge to allow the CO2 to dissolve out of the head space?

Good luck with the grape juice, that's actually on my list of stuff to try!

Quick Reply