Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1 Gallon Cider Experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
jackfrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
Bottled the Belgian white last night, Fg of 1.020.

The SWMBO tasted it and said it was perfect so I obeyed.

The damn stuff over carbed over night! Woke up this morning and the plastic bottle was more than rock. So I popped the caps, lost about a third of each cider in foam over and then evened out the bottles before recapping an pasteurizing.
Just a idea. Some thing I use when I have a fast Carb...if it is 2 much then put it in your freezer for a while till u get little crystals at the top then pop open...cuts the foam down.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

xjbobbin82: Thanks! And yes the pectic enzyme will help clear things out quite a lot. I have a regular semi sweet that I used pectic with and it came out as clear as commercial cider, very happy! Just be sure to not pour the yeast into your glass and it should turn out well.

Thanks Jackfrost, I will absolutely give that a try!

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
raecmr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Safa,

I have a batch of you Belgian White inspired cider in secondary right now.

1 Gal Motts Apple Juice
1 cup cane sugar
Fermetis safale S-04

In primary for 1 month, has been in secondary for a week. I was planning on doing a blueberry cider with this but saw your belgian white recipe and had to try it out.

I added:
Zest of one large orange
1 tsp fresh cracked coriander
1/4 tsp orange extract

It has been floating in the secondary for 2 days now. Not sure how much flavor I will get but the color and clarity has changed drastically since adding the orange and coriander. I added the orange extract because I noticed you didn't get much orange flavor.

I plan on leaving everything in secondary for about a week and then backsweetening to about 1.015 or 1.020 with AJ concentrate and then bottle pasteurizing once they carb up. I will let you know how it turns out, thanks for the recipe.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Safa
Recipes 

That sounds great! Let me know how it goes!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #15
raecmr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
That sounds great! Let me know how it goes!
Bottled last night. Back sweetened with 1 can of frozen AJ concentrate. SG at bottling was 1.017, will drop down to around 1.014 by the time Im ready to pasteurize it.

Noticeable orange smell and an orange taste. However to me it is more of a bitter orange taste, granted the sample was warm and flat. Not sure how much coriander is coming through, but to be honest im not very familiar with it. I think this will be a pleasant option for something a little bit different. Might try to add the orange and coriander in to a Graff cider I am planning. Once everything is carbonated I will be back to update on the taste although I think this will benefit from a bit of aging.

Pic attached after bottling.
cider1.jpg  

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Safa
Recipes 

Looks great.

Just wondering though, any reason why you used S-04 instead of a Belgian yeast? I used Belgian because I wanted that hazy-heffe look to the cider much like woodchuck's offering, I can see yours has come out much clearer and more cider like. I'm experienced enough with yeast strains to know how it would affect flavour though.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Safa
Recipes 

Have 1 gal of straight up apple cider that started at 1.066 sitting in the cupboard. It's been there almost 3 months now.

Seriously thinking of splitting it in half and bottling one batch with the caramel syrup recipe that seems to be so popular. The other half I'm going to mix with 100% grape juice and just see what happens! Anyone done something like this before?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Safa
Recipes 

Update:

Grape juice cider isn't carbing, might have dropped too much yeast. Will give it another couple of weeks before I try re-pitch. (I'm thinking if necessary Ill just drop 1 or two little pellets into each bottle and recap)

It tastes delicious though. Could do with a little less sweetness, which Im hoping the carbing will help with.

Caramel apple cider is awesome. Very pleased with how it turned out, and I think I'll make a full size batch towards the end of the year. Its definitely got a Christmas taste to me. I might go down on the cinnamon though, its every so slightly too much for me.

Now:

Started a new cider today. I was at a local farmers market and found some strawberry flavoured cranberries. Weird, I know. They smelled unbelievable though. Super strawberry from hell kind of smell. So of course, I threw them in the blender with some apple juice, mushed them up a bit and added them and a whole gallon of apple juice to a carboy with some pectic enzyme. 24 hours later, I strained what I had (leaving a little bit of the lees to help the flavour) and pitched half a packet of Nottingham ale yeast.

I grabbed a little taste before pitching and MAN did it taste good. SUPER good. The flavor from whatever the hell they put on those cranberries really came through. (OG at this point was 1.071 )

I'm planning on stopping it at 1.010 and adding a little more apple juice until the right sweetness and bottling it. Followed closely by pasteurizing it of course.

photo-2-.jpg  

Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
rowsdower44
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Just stumbled upon this thread and I'm liking the experiments so far.

I'd like to see where this goes with your other experiments. Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you liked the caramel apple cider and are thinking of doing the full batch... My last batch I primaries for about 10days, went to secondary sprinkled 2 packets mulling spices & 3 - 6" cinnamon sticks let sit 5 days, bottle... Mine I left still so after bottling it went straight into the serving freezer... Looking forward to more of the experiments!

Quick Reply