1.5 Yrs in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinnyski

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I made up 3 gallons of cider w/ White labs cider yeast. Forgot about it/ lost interest etc.... Never moved it to secondary, airlock dried up a looong time ago. I moved it to secondary today. It smells like cider till you stick your nose in it then it smells kind of like brandy, and tastes....interesting (not great) and alcoholish. Should I bring it to the hazmat disposal, bottle it, or test it on an enemy??

Unless it tastes and smells like vinegar, it's fine to drink. If it tastes and smells like vinegar use it for cooking. If it tastes like crap, it's probably your recipe and you need to find another one. :)

My guess is the dried up airlock allowed oxygen in, and you've got "madeierized" cider. That definitely gives a brandy (or sherry) like flavor. (It's from the oxidation).

It's safe to drink, and might be really good as an after dinner drink instead of port or brandy.

I have a strange urge to try this.... It sounds good in away. Hmmm. I don't have a primary to give up for that long though. Lol

Latest posts

Back