New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yooper's mead question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Bhunter87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
1.050 is quite high for an FG, but it might well be done if it was clear. I'm not familiar with bread yeast either, but I wouldn't be surprised if you reached it's alcohol tolerance. With 3 lbs honey in a gallon batch, you're probably somewhere around 8% ABV.
These were my thoughts as well but because of my lack of knowledge about the yeast, I didn't say.

It won't be a good idea to pitch another strand, so I'd say, if you like the taste, and it cleared out, bottle it.

Or Maybe let it sit another month and give it a bit longer. Whatever

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Bhunter87
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh shoot I was thinking of another post where guy liked his. I'm not sure what to tell ya brother.

Make sure solid mead makers check this out. They're your best bet

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Here's my take. Let it age. Decaping and putting back in a carboy might be good unless you want carbonated. You may want to hit it up with a fining agent and some potasium sulfate to stablize it. By the sounds of it it is not completely clear. Like read a newspaper through it clear. In this case you still have yeast suspended in it and it will still try to ferment. It also sounds like you made a sweet batch. It is typical that a Mead will smell and taste astringent or "Hot" (very alcoholic) when it has first cleared. At that point you need to let it age. Even a JAOM you need to let it age for 6-8 months. It is best to let any mead age for a year. And complex oily meads like bannana or chocolate may take longer, I have heard up to 2 years, though 1 1/2 should be fine. I have a chocolate and chocolate mint going now so we shall see.

So, I think that you just bottled it a bit too early. Aging and a little care will be all that is needed.

Hope that this helps.

Matrix

Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

*update*

Put it back in the jug and put it in a warmer location. think my temp was low when it was about 65. re-read it and it should have been warmer. see what happens in a few months

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I've heard if your really push it you can get fleishmans 13%-16%, but in JAOM will get up to only 8%-11%.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ok, I'm not a expert mead maker by any means, 6-7 5 gallon successful batches under my belt. With that being said...I think you may want to try and get your final gravity down a bit more,,,,
My estimate is that your original gravity was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.109, and I can't imagine drinking a beverage that ended up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.05. Personally, I would pitch another large amount of "proofed" yeast in, better yet, go get some brewers yeast, something along the lines of "fermentis safale us-05" or nottingham ale yeast and proof it in sterile water then pitch it in to your fermenter. I've used both very successfully in meads and endorse them wholeheartedly. I've also used "cotes de blanc" successfully as well as champagne yeast. I love bakers yeast....dont get me wrong, long time baker professionally and home baker, but unless your oxygenating your wort, and supplementing with vitamins I am somewhat hesitant to use bakers yeast....but, again, I haven't tried it in alcoholic beverages....your mileage may vary....Good luck!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
but unless your oxygenating your wort,
lol, actually "must" not wort when it comes to mead. Not that is really matters much, but just thought I'd mention that.

Quick Reply