Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yes, it's another "did I ruin my batch" question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Yeah, but it's literally within the margin of error on my hydrometer after a week. We're talking from like 1.066 to 1.065.
what temps did you take your gravities at, and did you temp correct? If you got 1.066 @ ~102*F; getting 1.065 @ ~70*F would show some fermentation.

You should be okay. I had a mead that took almost 4 months to ferment fully.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #12
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think it was 1.060 @ 102F or so, adjusted to 1.066~1.067.

On the plus side, the airlock is now bubbling again after I added the yeast nutrient, and I have a small krausen, so at least there's *something* in there converting sugars. I guess I'll let it do its thing for a couple more weeks before I worry about it again.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

well, don't get your hopes up yet - when you add nutrient to an active fermentation, you'll get a bunch of off-gassing that may look like krausen.

But on the positive side, hang in there for the long haul - honey fermentation takes a long time.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

OK so as an update to this, I let it do its thing for a week or so and then checked the gravity, which had come down to about 1.036. At this point I "distressed" 8 pounds of frozen blackberries, threw them into a paint strainer bag and tied it closed, then racked the mead on top of them. Of course, they floated to the top, but you know what I mean. The week or so following that shuffle saw pretty much constant activity in the airlock.

It's now been about 2 weeks since then, and I've racked it back to the better bottle. Gravity reading was down to 0.96 which puts my ABV estimate at the 14% to maybe 14.5% if I account for the fermentables in the blackberries. It had turned a pretty deep red/purple color in the intervening two weeks. It looks like a merlot, and smells pretty similarly, too. Very strong berry aroma, but the flavor is not nearly as potent as I expect from looking at it and smelling it, probably because there aren't any (or at least, as many) tannins like you'd get in a red wine. It tastes semi-sweet to me, which is surprising to me considering the low gravity.

At this point I guess it's fairly stable but I plan to top it off as necessary in the coming months.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe I read somewhere (here on the forums) that a young wine that's still cloudy and all will taste slightly sweeter than it really is. I wouldn't worry about the sweetness until it's had time to age out a little.

Quick Reply