Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yes, it's another "did I ruin my batch" question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Yes, it's another "did I ruin my batch" question.

As I stated in the other thread I made, I'm a complete mead n00b. I started my first batch of mead today. I rehydrated the yeast at around 105F with a bit of yeast nutrient, mixed in all my honey with slightly heated tap water, and then pitched the yeast immediately. I wasn't thinking at all, and only realized that my must (is it called a must before you pitch?) was still pretty hot when I was checking the gravity, doing my normal procedure of dropping the hydrometer and using the thermapen for a temp reading. The temp at time of pitching was 102F.

Realizing my mistake, I immediately moved the carboy to my swamp cooler which was already half-filled with water, and dropped in several bottles of ice. It's been about 30 minutes or so, and the carboy is still in the 97-98F range.

So, how much did I just screw up my mead? Do I still have a window to get it cooled down to normal fermentation temps, and if so, how long is that window?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You didn't even come close to messing up your mead. Like beer, you want to ferment cool but it should get there just fine by tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 1257 Posts

Mead is a long term relationship.
A little heat now shouldn't hurt it.

A year from now, your mead will have changed so much that a day or two of warmth really won't matter.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

You'll be fine.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
halleyscomet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, you might need to pitch new yeast if it didn't survive the heat.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Actually his must temperature was just a couple of degrees cooler than the rehydrated yeast. It probably did just fine, thermally. As long as he can get the temperature down to around room temp in short order, then there shouldn't be any problems with excessive fusel generation, or oxidation, or the like.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
weirdboy
Recipes 

Well I dunno it was bubbling away the next morning so I thought everything was fine, but I just checked the gravity, now a week later, and it only seems to have dropped a point or two. I assume this isn't a good sign.

I added a teaspoon of yeast nutrient when I checked the gravity, and then when I looked up the OG realized it hadn't really fermented much.

So, I want to pitch a new yeast, but the only yeasts I have in the house are S-04, S-05, T58, and bread yeast. I can maybe pick something up over the weekend if necessary. I was hoping to use the Lavlin K1V-1116 again, but am I pushing my luck by waiting so long before I can get any?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

It takes a month or more to get the gravity down on mead. It is not a fast like beer but slow and steady.

I think you should just walk away from it for another month, then check your gravity.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
weirdboy
Recipes 

Yeah, but it's literally within the margin of error on my hydrometer after a week. We're talking from like 1.066 to 1.065. I can understand slow fermentation, but this looks more like no fermentation to me. Also, the website for the Lavlin specifically says that yeast is a fast fermenter (among wine yeasts).

What I am worried about with just leaving it sit there for a month is that in the meantime I'm going to pick up some wild yeast strains, which I don't really want for this recipe, that are going to take over the batch and then I'll be stuck with whatever I get.

Last edited by weirdboy; 07-24-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
Sasper
Recipes 

You probably toxified your yeast by rehydrating with nutrient instead of Go-Ferm. Regular yeast nutrients are very harmful to yeast in the rehydration stage. If I were you I would add enough campden tablets to your must in accordance to the size of the batch wait 24 hours and re-pitch with a big yeast starter. Not rehydrated with nutrient!

And on a side note, meads shouldn't be a long drawn out ferment. Following an SNA and aerating at least twice daily to the 1/3 break I'm able to get high gravity meads fermented bone dry in a week, sometimes less than.

Quick Reply