Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yeast nutrients question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
felix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast nutrients question

I've got everything ready to start my mead. However the lady at my local home brew shop sold me a little bag of bulk yeasts nutrient with a simple "yeast nutrient" sticker... At first i asked her for Fermaid-K and i'm really not sure if she even knew what was i talking about.... It's a small village's lhbs... Maybe they are using different brand names for Canada?...

now my question is, how much should i use and at what stages, as a "fool-proof" method that would work with most kinds, or with the kind that they are most likely to be selling in bulk at that place.

i've whent thru the FAQ and pdf's, and found out that each kind of nutrient has a different weight... hence the confusion...

any help would be welcomed

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Brewin_Bob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm in the same boat. The nutrient I got was called Super Ferment. LHBS didn't have DiAmmonium Phosphate, Fermaid-K, or Go-Ferm. The instructions on the packet said 1 tsp per gallon of wine or 1 tsp per 5 gallons of beer. After rereading Hightest's sticky on nutrient additions, I think that what I have has more DAP than Go-Ferm. I'll use what I got per the instructions on the packet this time around.

-- Kings Full Brewery --
-- Currently Being Remodeled --

Primary:None
Secondary:None
Conditioning:Lemstrac Wine, first mead
Bottled:None

Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
felix
Recipes 

also, i would like to spark a mini debate about what people think is the best temperature when making the must. The sticky says 150 F, but the wiki says 185 F. What do you guys think i should do?

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

It is unfortunate that some LHBS offer generic nutrients. The answer to the main question of this topic is simple. If your nutrient does not specify what it contains, then opting to use it it simpy a "crap shoot", and for my money not knowning is not worth the chance to ruin a batch of mead.

My online home brew store of choice for nutrients is Austin Home Brew. They have all the nutrients: Fermaid-K, DAP, & Go-Ferm. I also believe they ship internationally.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
also, i would like to spark a mini debate about what people think is the best temperature when making the must. The sticky says 150 F, but the wiki says 185 F. What do you guys think i should do?
I would do neither.

For my mead musts, I use 1-2 gallons of water heated to 115°F, turn the heat off, and then add the honey to dissolve. To reach pitching temps, I'll then add the remaining water, which has been cooling in a refrigerator.

Using this method, I can typically achieve a must temp of ~80°F without waiting...

Quick Reply