Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yeast Nutrients & Energizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Jaymo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast Nutrients & Energizer

I've brewed a decent amount of beer and cider and never dealt with yeast nutrient/energizer additions, but I recently started my first batch of mead. Unfortunately, the following day my wife & I ended up leaving town for several days!

It is a little over a week later and we've been back home for a few days now. The must is fermenting happily, but starting to slow down a bit now. I've read about nutrient & energizer additions in the Compleat Meadmaker, but I'm wondering:

Is there any reason I shouldn't add doses of nutrients & energizer at this point in the fermentation since we weren't around to add them during the first few days in staggered doses?

(Oh, and it's a standard sweet mead recipe with clover honey.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Tiamat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Started my first mead in early june, and added nutrient well after the primary fermentation was pretty much done. It's still sitting in primary, so I can't really answer your question, however, afterwards i did some research (yes, i know, kinda backwards) and found that introducing too much nitrogen too late in the fermentation can be bad. Wish i could remember the link i read it from.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yeah, energizer can definitely leave a little after taste in mead if you use too much, or if its not utilized.
you are not too late in fermentation, but I'd only add a small amount, gently stir it in, and call it good.

I've had meads turn out without using any energizer/nitrogen. It just takes a while. You definitely don't wanna rack it too early. Stir up the lees when you dose the energizer, then let it settle back down.

a month in primary is ok. you won't get off flavors (autolysis) in one month.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply