Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
mummasan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer

I want to follow the instructions on the sticky at the top of the forum. The nutrient additions are GoFerm (a yeast hydration nutrient) DAP and Fermaid K (yeast nutrient).

I have a package of yeast energizer from Brewcraft and I would like to use it if appropriate. If I run out of Fermaid K can I just use some of the energizer? How are yeast energizers and nutrients different?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummasan View Post
I want to follow the instructions on the sticky at the top of the forum. The nutrient additions are GoFerm (a yeast hydration nutrient) DAP and Fermaid K (yeast nutrient).

I have a package of yeast energizer from Brewcraft and I would like to use it if appropriate. If I run out of Fermaid K can I just use some of the energizer? How are yeast energizers and nutrients different?
Not really, as FermaidK has all of the micro nutrients etc that energiser (presumably pure DAP) doesn't have - as I understand it, the energiser is just a straight source of nitrogen.

Where the suggestion is to do staggered nutrient additions, it seems that the idea is usually to add the GoFerm to rehydrate, then pitch the yeast, then when there's definite signs of fermentation, a mix of roughly 50/50 FermaidK and DAP is used - but often it's calculated for total amount, then half the total is added when the lag phase has finished (those signs of ferment mentioned earlier) and the second half of the FermaidK/DAP mix at the 1/3rd sugar break (oh and daily aeration of the must down to the 1/3rd sugar break as well).

I don't know if a mix of GoFerm and DAP would approximate FermaidK or not though. That might be worth thinking about unless someone has any specific reason why that might not be a good idea.......

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I'm not sure of the ingredients in the Brewcraft energizer, but I believe if must have some yeast hulls or autolyzed yeast based on the description that it binds fatty acids. Can read off the ingredients?

This is one reason I like using the Lallemand products - it is easier to know how much to use because the nitrogen content is known.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
mummasan
Recipes 

The brewcraft energizer package only says it is 'high in nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium to absorb the fatty acids...' There is no ingredient list on the package.

The Brewcraft energizer does appear different than the FermaidK - the FermaidK has some clumps and variations in color where the brewcraft energizer is uniform in color and size of the granules.

I think I'm going to return the energizer to the LHBS and just order some more FermaidK.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

What color is it?

Quick Reply