Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > yeast energizer versus yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast energizer versus yeast nutrient

How many folks use an energizer (more minerals) than just a yeast nutrient for their musts? How about dead hulls like a Ghostex product? Worthwhile?

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
DarkStar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use energizer and nutrient in every must, mead or country wines, just to make sure of a healthy fermentation. Have not used ghost hulls but have read they are good for ferment. I have switched from using the urea based nutrients to DAP.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
missing
Recipes 

I tend to use a mixture of DAP and Fermaid-K (which is a nutrient mix). I definitely use them in my mead and I have started rehydrating with GO-Ferm as well. Does it make a difference? I seem to have quicker and stronger ferments when using all of the above. I am not 100% sold on the Go-Ferm but I really like the DAP and Fermaid.

Quick Reply