Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > "Yeah, there's some honey in there, too...."

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
inexplorata
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default "Yeah, there's some honey in there, too...."

So my wife, who just started keeping bees (yay!) was given some equipment from a colleague who just stopped keeping bees -- a neat pile of old-school gear, including a 100-year-old centrifuge.

And a big food-safe bucket. "Yeah, there's some honey in there, too," he told her. "It's a couple of years old, still good. Strain it and it'll be fine."

I looked in the shed today. And weighed the bucket -- 50 pounds at least!

... Put another way, this is Yet Another What Mead Recipe Should I Do Thread. I've got three wines and a cider going right now, one free carboy, and zero experience making OR drinking mead. Suggestions? DAOM? Something else? It's high-country wildflower honey.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

The Stickies do have some pretty good advice. If you are going to do a regular mead then you will only need about 18 pounds for a 5-6 gallon batch and that will make a sweet mead for all but your champaign yeasts. It should be fairly potent of a mead. Did you want a recipie/process or something else? The process is fairly similar to a wine or cider. And sometimes it is equated with extract brewing. I would tend to stay away from the later.

What type of recipie are you looking for and how big is your carboy?

Matrix

Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The Mead Gods have smiled upon you!!

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Quick Reply