HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
ScottM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Worth it?

I'm looking to experiment with making a little mead. I've done a couple beers, and I've got a cider working right now, so with that experience and all the info I've seen here I'm pretty confident on getting a mead working. I can get several different varieties of honey locally, so I'd like to experiment. I've got two different 1/2 gallon glass "growlers" I could use. I've also got a 3 gallon carboy, but it's full of cider, and I've got plans for my 6 gallon brew buckets over the next couple months. So I'm stuck using the 1/2 gallons or ponying up for either a new 1 gallon or 3 gallon carboy. While the more carboy's the merrier, they can get a little pricey when buying new, and I can't seem to find any used ones recently.

My question is would a half gallon experiment be worth the time? Also, since most yeast packets are built for 3-6 gallon batches what's the best way to break it down for a 1/2 gallon batch? (or pitch it all and watch it take off)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

Most of the time I make meads in one gallon cider bottles. I just pitch an entire packet of yeast. With original gravities of 1.100-1.150, I figure more is better.

Why not make two 1/2 gallon batches, using two honeys?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
I'm looking to experiment with making a little mead. I've done a couple beers, and I've got a cider working right now, so with that experience and all the info I've seen here I'm pretty confident on getting a mead working. I can get several different varieties of honey locally, so I'd like to experiment. I've got two different 1/2 gallon glass "growlers" I could use. I've also got a 3 gallon carboy, but it's full of cider, and I've got plans for my 6 gallon brew buckets over the next couple months. So I'm stuck using the 1/2 gallons or ponying up for either a new 1 gallon or 3 gallon carboy. While the more carboy's the merrier, they can get a little pricey when buying new, and I can't seem to find any used ones recently.

My question is would a half gallon experiment be worth the time? Also, since most yeast packets are built for 3-6 gallon batches what's the best way to break it down for a 1/2 gallon batch? (or pitch it all and watch it take off)
Someone mentioned something good to me - look around at italian joints to see if they serve the "house wine" from the 1 gallon jugs, and ask them to save up a few for you.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-pa-de-dc-winter-brew-day-195534/

Old 03-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

1/2 will be pretty useless in my opinion. I admit I use several 1 gals and I love em. I can do lots of experimenting with a lot less initial cost for ingredients on recipes I'm unsure of. But in the end, a 1 gal batch leaves you with too little already, after racking losses and testing, you only get 4 or so 750's out of it. I would hate to work on something and wait months and months for only 2 bottles.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All the talk of running experimental batches reminded me of this picture:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
ScottM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giligson View Post
All the talk of running experimental batches reminded me of this picture:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/
Wow that thread has a ton of information.

Quote:
Most of the time I make meads in one gallon cider bottles. I just pitch an entire packet of yeast. With original gravities of 1.100-1.150, I figure more is better.

Why not make two 1/2 gallon batches, using two honeys?
That was my exact intention, but I'm just wondering if I should dig up some 1 gal jugs. Once the 1/2 gallons are done I won't be pouring it back too heavily, but if I only end up with 2 finished bottles that doesn't seem like a worth while amount of product. If I can plan on 4 bottles from the 1 gal batch that seems like a better alternative.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I have 5 E&J gallo gallon bottles good for trying out the nutty stuff!

I would recommend against it for a normal meade, because you will like it too much, and be mad you only have a gallon!

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

be sure to buy a mini auto-siphon for those 1 gallon jugs. with only 1 gallon of godly nectar, you'll wanna avoid as much loss to racking as possible.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply