New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Won't stop bubbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Won't stop bubbling

I am making my first mead and it is turning out great! I split the batch into two 1/2 gallon glass cider jugs. One Cranberry, one Blueberry, and both taste delicious! However, I have gotten it where I want it and I added a crushed Campden Tablet to each bottle and replaced the airlocks. This morning the airlocks were still bubbling... should I be worried?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Devo9
Recipes 

Oh and I may have done something foolish.... I panicked this morning and added another campden tablet to each. Will my mead be ok?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you added any sulphite?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Have you added any sulphite?
Campden = sulfite

Well, the first thing to do is to do nothing! Stop adding stuff and mucking around with it. Campden (sulfites) don't stop fermentation so they will probably keep going until they are finished. You may stress/stun the yeast a bit, though, so you don't want to add any more.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Campden = sulfite

Well, the first thing to do is to do nothing! Stop adding stuff and mucking around with it. Campden (sulfites) don't stop fermentation so they will probably keep going until they are finished. You may stress/stun the yeast a bit, though, so you don't want to add any more.
So I have to let the yeast continue? I cannot stop the fermentation?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not easily, but its not impossible.

The first thing you probably want to do is put it in the fridge if you can. That will put most yeasts to sleep and make them sink to the bottom. Then you can rack off the top of the yeast, being very careful not to suck any of them up. If you get some, dont panic just put the new fermentor in the fridge and repeat once the yeast settles again. Once you are sure the yeast has been left behind add some sorbate as per the instructions, and if you had to do a number of rackings maybe another camden, but you may already have enough of that. Once it has been sorbated you can take it out the fridge, hopefully fermentation won't start up again.

The other option would be to pasturise, but I've never tried it.

As an alternative, what many people here do is to let it complete, then follow the cold-crash->rack->stabalise as above and then back-sweeten.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Devo9
Recipes 

If I backsweeten, how do I make sure that the yeast doesn't just reactivate and start fermenting all over again?

I do not want to use any unnatural sweeteners and I think I have added enough chemical to this batch. So I would prefer to not add any more chemicals (but I guess I will add more if need be).

Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post
If I backsweeten, how do I make sure that the yeast doesn't just reactivate and start fermenting all over again?

I do not want to use any unnatural sweeteners and I think I have added enough chemical to this batch. So I would prefer to not add any more chemicals (but I guess I will add more if need be).
To stabilize, you add some campden (not now- later!) and sorbate together. That doesn't kill yeast, either, but it stops yeast from reproducing so fermentation won't restart. This only works once the mead is done, though, and clear, and with most of the yeast gone as the yeast don't have to reproduce now since there are so many of them.

If it's still fermenting, it's a long way from being ready to stabilize and sweeten.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Devo9
Recipes 

Oh and what about pasteurizing? Can I stop fermentation that way? What are the side effects?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post

I recomend the same cold crashing technique above. Also, using Potasium Sorbate on it will stop the yeast from reproducing but not being active. Good thing that Yeast have a lifespan measured in days.

So Coldcrashing will settle it to the bottom and get it to flock together a bit, also put in dormancy or mostly and then rack onto the potassium sorbate to take care of the very little but still present yeast left.

A combanation of those two techniques should do the trick. What I do at the same time as the Potasium Sorbate is to hit it up with some Sparkloid, a clarifying agent, to clear it quicker. Then in about a week you should be able to rack it off again, then bulk aging or bottle and bottle aging for 6 months to a year is best for aging.

The only other option is wait till it's done on it's own then backsweeten putting some Potassium Sorbait in the back sweetening solution so that fermentation doesn't start up again.

Hope this helps.

Matrix

Quick Reply