Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > was wondering if bentonite ads any chemical flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
crumpetsnbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default was wondering if bentonite ads any chemical flavor

I was wondering if adding bentonite ads any chemical flavor or any off taste for that matter?

I ask because I have racked my mead three times now and it has been fermenting for about 4 months, I will be racking again in the next week or so, yet it has not started to clear up. Their is also, well i feel like very little sediment on the bottom,

I'm I acting to soon or should i give it more time?

sorry I'm such a noob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've used bentonite in a wine. It took about 2 weeks to create any lees, and they were light and fluffy and would not settle out completely to the bottom. I ended up cold crashing at 27F for a week and that took care of it.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpetsnbeer View Post
I was wondering if adding bentonite ads any chemical flavor or any off taste for that matter?
Bentonite is just an inert clay material. I don't know the exact method of how it works, whether it's positive/negative electron charges like with the 2 part finings, or whether it's like when you disturb a lees to cause nucleation points which then allows the carbonic acid to collect around them, forming bubbles (using that as analogy on how it might work).... but it shouldn't add anything that would cause off flavours.
Quote:
I ask because I have racked my mead three times now and it has been fermenting for about 4 months, I will be racking again in the next week or so, yet it has not started to clear up. Their is also, well i feel like very little sediment on the bottom,

I'm I acting to soon or should i give it more time?

sorry I'm such a noob
Why are you racking it if its not finished fermenting ? That's how you cause stuck ferments and/or long drawn out fermentations.

Each time you rack, you will be leaving some of the active yeast colony behind, reducing the amount that is in the ferment. Provided the ferment has enough nutrients etc, to nourish the yeast, the colony would re-grow, but that takes time, and can result in the ferment sticking, as there'd either not be enough nutrients left in the brew or the alcohol level would have developed enough, to stifle or even preven the colony reforming enough to continue the ferment process.

Don't rack it until you've had 3 identical gravity readings (take the readings 2 or 3 days apart), across a period of a week to 10 days.

Even then, unless you've used a yeast that doesn't do "sur lie" or batonage ageing, like 71B, you'd just leave it to form the sediment where you can see it's starting to clear.

Reading matter for you to check through with plenty of guidance when new to mead making.........

Plus one of the biggest drawbacks to producing good meads is lack of patience......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Besides, the point of the bentonite is to clear, i.e. remove particles. If you clear it properly, little to no bentonite should be included in your finished product--it should have settled out.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Why are you racking it if its not finished fermenting ? That's how you cause stuck ferments and/or long drawn out fermentations.
My thoughts exactly. Unless the lees are over an inch thick (approximately), I'd leave that mead alone for a while, like another month or two at least. I've never seen a need to use any finings for mead, it clears all by itself in time.
Mead takes time.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply