The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > WLP720 and Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Aaron1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default WLP720 and Fermentation

Well, a while ago I posted a question regarding my slow fermentation, it appears that my previously colder temperature was not the problem. For two days now my must has been at or around 70F.

The must has been quite carbonated every day I check, so everyday I've been giving it a good stir to degas. My worries lie with my gravity readings. My OG was 1.127 and for the last four days my SG has been 1.124 give or take 0.001.

I do have some Lalvin 1122 on the way. Is it time to give up on my WLP720 I pitched a week ago and pitch some 1122?

Primary#1: Zombie Coffee Stout
Primary#2: T-Virus Coffee Stout (Party-Gyle)
Secondary#1: Nothing
Secondary#2: Nothing
Aging: Honey Bucket Ale, Cloud 9 Semi-Sweet Mead
Drinking: Various Micros for Bottles
Coming Soon: Cloud 9 Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Post a full ingredient list and method/technique, then maybe somebody could take a punt at diagnosis.

Otherwise it's rather like asking "how longs a piece of string" ?

And from memory, wlp720 ? White labs sweet mead ? If so its tolerant to 15% alcohol and 71B is tolerant to 14% plus its competitive factor means its not likely to make a difference.

So maybe its a nutrients or acids/pH thing ? but cant say without more info.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Aaron1983
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Post a full ingredient list and method/technique, then maybe somebody could take a punt at diagnosis.

Otherwise it's rather like asking "how longs a piece of string"?

And from memory, wlp720 ? White labs sweet mead ? If so its tolerant to 15% alcohol and 71B is tolerant to 14% plus its competitive factor means its not likely to make a difference.

So maybe its a nutrients or acids/pH thing ? but cant say without more info.......
My original post is here. It has my recipe and process used. I am certain the slow start was due to my temps, but what has been curious for me is the presence of carbonation, a lot of it. This indicates to me that something is happening, I am just hoping that I didn't wait too long to de-gas.
Primary#1: Zombie Coffee Stout
Primary#2: T-Virus Coffee Stout (Party-Gyle)
Secondary#1: Nothing
Secondary#2: Nothing
Aging: Honey Bucket Ale, Cloud 9 Semi-Sweet Mead
Drinking: Various Micros for Bottles
Coming Soon: Cloud 9 Porter

Quick Reply