The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Will my sweet mead conitnue to dry out a bit??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #21
ErinRae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So it's been a month since the last gravity reading of my sweet blueberry mead. I reracked today and it's sitting at 1.04. I ended up adding some water to top it off as its so sweet that I can't see it making a difference. It tastes like really sweet honey wine with a bit of blueberry..hurts your teeth a bit.

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point as its a little too sweet for me...if it was ice cold or on the rocks i think it could work lol maybe. was thinking about adding some more blueberries to see if this could balance out the honey taste a bit...and then bottling it eventually and giving it to ppl who like desert wine?!

How long do ppl usually rack onto fruit for?

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You could certainly consider adding some more fruit in secondary....

What I would recommend doing is brewing a traditional mead (just honey, yeast, water and nutrients)...don't start with a super high gravity, just 3 lbs of honey per gallon, and let it go completely dry. You can then use this to blend with your blueberry...it will allow you to dilute out the sweetness considerably without adding any more water. If you plan on doing this, it may provide another good reason to add more blueberries to secondary to boost the blueberry character, and the intensity of the color, knowing that you will be then diluting it out again later before bottling...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think I will try this...I'll make 2 gallons of tradional dry mead then throw the blueberry in as the 3rd gallon and rack all of it onto more blueberries. I guess it would be best to wait until the tradional mead was totally dryed out before I mix the two right?

This poor blueberry mead has been through so much!! I hope no one else tries the original recipe that I found!!!

On a side note...do you know what SWMBO means..lots of ppl here use it?

Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae
On a side note...do you know what SWMBO means..lots of ppl here use it?
Ha! It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to a male brewer's significant other: "She Who Must Be Obeyed!"
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I agree with biochemedic on this on. given recipe stated my calculations come up with an ABV of 20.54. 1118 maxes out at about 18 percent unless you carefully make a starter. Actually I never tried to make a starter with this yeast since it plows through anything. 4.5 pounds is about a little less then 1/3 of a gallon. Also the lemon and lime juice if used to to access would stall the ferment. I know, because I have made that mistake on one of my gallon experiments. When using lemon and lime juice, or anything high in acidity it might be useful to check the acidity with ph strips and adjust accordingly before pitching yeast. Adjusting acidity is accomplished with chemicals depending if its to acidic, or to basic. I think the chemical to balance out the acidity is calcium carbonate. To increase the acidity there are chemicals for that, but for me, I would use lime or lemon juice. If Camden tablets were used in the middle, or at the start when pitching the yeast of the ferment then this would also stall a ferment. The possibility for problems here is too much honey, too much lemon and lime juice, not enough nutrient and energizer and the staggered additions. One or a combination of these factors could have resulted in a high FG, but I don't think the staggered additions would play so much into this equation.

Simple rule for me is one gallon/12 lbs honey to 5 gallons of must. I like 71b and use it often when making meads. My results are anywhere from 13-14.5 depending on SNA (staggered nutrient additions) and fruits used. I like my meads dry and let them to to below 1.000

Possible remedy to this solution is simple, but possibly not so desirable. First add vodka or gain alcohol to taste and or water. 1118 is extremely difficult to unstuck. In fact 1118 is what is used to un-stick stuck ferments. Since its only a one gallon batch I would say that its not a loose, but simply look at it as a learning experience. I think its still drinkable but maybe not what had been anticipated as the final outcome.

Also I use fruit in my primaries. I guess that is a personal preference though.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have a bottle of brandy left over from an event...a little less than 750 ml. Do ppl fortify mead?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So out of nowhere the fermentation in my sweet blueberry mead started up again..or at least became noticebly active. There's bubbles rising to the top and creating a layer and the airlock even lets a bubble out every min or so.
Heres hoping that it dries up a bit more!!

E

Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #28
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There's still bubbles rising to top...no airlock activity but a constant ring of bubbles in the jug. I hope this means its still fermenting. 3 months this mead has been fermenting...it's pretty clear now too. Maybe I'll take another reading in a day or two

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This blueberry mead was still fermenting at 1.015 so I decided to cold crash it to keep it a bit sweet. I have no clue about the alcohol content but I'm guessing it's at it's threshold of 18% if not higher. Anyways tastes great!!! Even had a few friends that really liked it. Just goes to show how a disaster of a start can really turn out great!. I think I'll try this recipe again just tone down the initial honey at the beginning!!

fun4stuff Likes This 

Quick Reply