Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Why do you think Mead isn't more popular, compared to wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a few meads from a meadery in my area (B. Nektar) who has a few different meads, and many of the wineries also have their own. One of wineries I go to is a bit more adventurous in this area, as they have paired honey with different fruits (Asian pears, apples, mead on its own, different grape varieties). B. Nektar has done quite a bit with mead, including their latest release of the Zombie Killer (hopped cherry mead).

Yes, they're all still on the sweet side, but not all of them are dessert sweet at least. One from the winery is a semi-sweet, close to a riesling. And B. Nektar has a few dry meads.

Agreed on marketing. many people don't even know what mead is, other than some relation to vikings. most others who do know, are usually in either select drinking groups, or in the geek, pagan, homemade area.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
robin850
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think mead does have an image problem, as well as a cost problem. Also, unless we stop killing the bees mead will continue to increase in price.

If some "nano-winery" laws get passed it will make it a lot easier to get us mead-makers a wider audience, perhaps making a dent in the image-problem.

cheers,

robin850

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Hazroth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well starting next year look for a local Meadery opening in Lakewood, WA just south of where your at in Seattle. Operated by yours truly!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Goblet
Recipes 

Too many bad examples of commercial mead around, at exorbitant prices.

A non-local friend told me that their homemade mead tastes great. I was curious, but the best wine & beer shop around here only carried one brand, by a local meadery. I tried three different fruit meads by them and they all tasted like nail polish remover. Undrinkable! And each bottle cost as much as a very good wine.

Fortunately for me, I tried brewing my own mead, since my strong honey porters always taste good. And sure enough, it turned out that making mead is as easy as making beer and it does indeed taste great.

I'm guessing that most people would try the funky stuff once and assume that's just what mead is supposed to taste like, and they would never try it again. I sure have a high resistance to buying commercial mead again...

Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblet View Post

A non-local friend told me that their homemade mead tastes great. I was curious, but the best wine & beer shop around here only carried one brand, by a local meadery. I tried three different fruit meads by them and they all tasted like nail polish remover. Undrinkable! And each bottle cost as much as a very good wine.

Fortunately for me, I tried brewing my own mead, since my strong honey porters always taste good. And sure enough, it turned out that making mead is as easy as making beer and it does indeed taste great.

I'm guessing that most people would try the funky stuff once and assume that's just what mead is supposed to taste like, and they would never try it again. I sure have a high resistance to buying commercial mead again...
Very good point! It's kinda like people basing their opinions about beer solely on the macro light American lager...

Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The only mead I'm aware of that's sold in the area is Chaucer, which is extremely sweet. It's like drinking honey cut with water (for thinness) and vodka (for alcohol).

I don't think a lot of people know what mead is and those that do think of it as a sweet desert-style beverage. As others have said, it definitely suffers from an image/marketing deficiency.

I'm half-surprised by the bad products some of you are finding from local meaderies. On one hand I'm surprised they wouldn't know better than to produce a garbage product but on the other hand I'm not surprised because I could see them making the business decision to sell whatever they produce because they have to sell it or close shop.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Goblet
Recipes 

Quote:
It's kinda like people basing their opinions about beer solely on the macro light American lager...
Exactly!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #18
robin850
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Very good point! It's kinda like people basing their opinions about beer solely on the macro light American lager...
I try not to drink any beer I can see through!

cheers,

robin850
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
tweake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblet View Post

I'm guessing that most people would try the funky stuff once and assume that's just what mead is supposed to taste like, and they would never try it again.
thats just it.

i've had the same. theres tons of CRAP on the market. the ones i've tasted taste like they have never been aged. more than likely they are bottle aging them on the stores shelves.

but on the other hand, i've people recommend recipes that they say taste great, yet its horrible. especially when the recipe calls for just about every mistake you could possible do.
if the mead drinkers don't know what good mead is how do you expect commercial guys to know.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #20
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 715

If/when I visit NZ, let's chat!

Quick Reply