Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > White foam on top of mead???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
jevchance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethanol CH3CH2OH View Post
Umm... your assumptions are incorrect. It is in the primary.

I guess I will taste it this weekend. I was planning on drinking it
You typically want to rack into a secondary 2 weeks to 2 months after pitching. Yeast die and form lees, and you need to get the must off the lees or it will produce bad flavors. If it spent its entire life in the primary, at the very least it will not taste as good as it could have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, that's not necessarily always true. In fact some yeast strains will impart desirable flavor and aroma characteristics when allowed to autolyze. The traditional barrel technique for getting the most benefit from autolyzing yeast is called "batonnage," and it involves periodically stirring up the lees layer back into suspension in the must.

But, this isn't something that a relatively inexperienced meadmaker should try right off the bat, since too much lees exposure, or too much stirring, can do bad, rather than good, things to your mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply